Home Forum Ask A Member Has Anyone Done This With Pressurized Tank

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

More than you would think actually. You would be surprised how much is sent back, especially when idling.

You have to run the tanks down dry almost, then re fill with fresh mix. Otherwise, the tank will eventually start to get over rich with oil.

vintin
      Participant
        quote Chris_P:

More than you would think actually. You would be surprised how much is sent back, especially when idling.

You have to run the tanks down dry almost, then re fill with fresh mix. Otherwise, the tank will eventually start to get over rich with oil.

Two years now on the same 15 gallon tank and no richness in oil is evident when running a 1957 Johnson 35hp. The tank has never been run empty and has never been drained. Mix ratio is 24/1 not counting what the recovery system adds. I’m sure I’ve run at least 200 gallons through this system.

Something I never see mentioned is the capturing of the gasoline/oil mix vapors that get pushed through the crankcase drain valves after the condensed liquid fuel has passed. If it is sent to the tank then the tank vents it to atmosphere. I vent the separator to the air box. At idle a plume of vapor about a foot long and several inches in diameter can be seen coming from the fuel line that runs up to my air box when it is disconnected.

For over two years now I’ve been using a water/air separator designed for use on an air compressor.

Here is the vapor line going to the air box:

brian
        Participant

I’ve seen remarks about the recovered fuel containing some degree of water. The pressure tank pickup tube length doesn’t allow the tank to be drained empty on my pressure tanks. Always fuel left in the bottom in my experience. That is where the water would end up. If I ever try this I will suction out the remainder of the liquid in the bottom of the tank and see what’s left.

vintin
          Participant
            quote Brian:

I’ve seen remarks about the recovered fuel containing some degree of water. The pressure tank pickup tube length doesn’t allow the tank to be drained empty on my pressure tanks. Always fuel left in the bottom in my experience. That is where the water would end up. If I ever try this I will suction out the remainder of the liquid in the bottom of the tank and see what’s left.

It would be easy to siphon out of that tank.

Before I went with returning directly to the 15 gallon tank I was using a one gallon tank to catch the recovered. Several times I poured that one gallon into a one gallon glass jar and never saw any water.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Three & six gallons too Dave, As you know!

chris-p
              Participant

To each their own of course, but the mixture is definitely oil heavy regarding the recovered medium. It is BEST to run the tanks near empty, then fill with fresh mixture, as much as you can and as much as possible of course.

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

the red tank under the mark 20H is a non pressure tank merc made to replace there pressure tank. same tank converted to single line. they did it to get rid of there over stock pressure tanks.

Attachments:

vintin
                  Participant

quote Chris_P:

To each their own of course, but the mixture is definitely oil heavy regarding the recovered medium. It is BEST to run the tanks near empty, then fill with fresh mixture, as much as you can and as much as possible of course.

Yes, of course to each their own.

I’m just pointing out that after at least 200 gallons that my motor is doing fine. I do run the tank every now and then down to just 2 or 3 gallons.

I’ll report back if I run into problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.