Home Forum Ask A Member Have y’all ever…/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

Have y’all ever bought a motor you really didn’t even want? The new hobby lust that drove me for several years to hit the road and drive for hours to pick up motors has waned a bit, and I kinda shrug off motors that are 2 hours + from me, but yesterday I bought one just because it was close. 😀 A guy had a CD 16 for sale about 15 minutes from me and apparently, that is all the reason I need to go get it. I am not a real collector like a lot of you guys but I must have 4 or 5 5.5 hp already. The condition is ok. If it was in awesome condition I wouldn’t question myself but its not really great. I may have a problem.

frankr
      Participant

US Member
        quote Bullie:

Have y’all ever bought a motor you really didn’t even want? The new hobby lust that drove me for several years to hit the road and drive for hours to pick up motors has waned a bit, and I kinda shrug off motors that are 2 hours + from me, but yesterday I bought one just because it was close. 😀 A guy had a CD 16 for sale about 15 minutes from me and apparently, that is all the reason I need to go get it. I am not a real collector like a lot of you guys but I must have 4 or 5 5.5 hp already. The condition is ok. If it was in awesome condition I wouldn’t question myself but its not really great. I may have a problem.

Yep, I have. And now can’t even get 1/2 what I have invested in them. That’s a problem too.

bullie
        Participant

Frank, that’s the same thing I was thinking when I put the motor in the trunk. This one requires a pressure tank and only weird people like us actually dig that, so if I get it running, even if it runs like new, it still will be a break even prospect at best. This is a weird addiction.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

It could be way worse. Grow an addiction to vintage guitars….

Vintage guitars will put you in the poor house faster than you can spit, and the chances of being "upside down" on a deal can easily cost you 5 figures.

My wife LOVES my renewed interest in old engines! These are WAY cheaper than guitars!!

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

If the motor is close by and something I normally wouldn’t really want, I go get it if it’s cheap enough…..then it sits way behind a lot of others I put higher priority on getting running and I never seem to get to those. I’m about 40 or 50 motors behind right now – too many other hobbies/interests/things going on in my life, and for me in Minnesota, it’s a seasonal hobby limited to about 5 months of the year – don’t want grease and oil smell in the basement. I have been known to pull parts off a couple of these non-desired cheapies to fix motors for friends.
              Dave

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I guess it depends on the condition of the CD, and how much you paid for it. If you paid too much, the engine isn’t in decent shape, and you are not really interested in it, then it’s a problem.
                On the other hand, I have surely paid too much for engines, but I really wanted them, just didn’t take the time to inspect them thoroughly. So, don’t be too hard on yourself.

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

I fight the urge all the time. I have to remind myself "I already have two of them even though this is a great price". I also remind myself that I don’t have any more room for outboards until I get rid of something…….sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn’t….depends on how cheap and close it is….

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote fleetwin:

I guess it depends on the condition of the CD, and how much you paid for it. If you paid too much, the engine isn’t in decent shape, and you are not really interested in it, then it’s a problem.
                    On the other hand, I have surely paid too much for engines, but I really wanted them, just didn’t take the time to inspect them thoroughly. So, don’t be too hard on yourself.

It’s not a showpiece but it looked pretty good for $60. The red plastic idle adjustment is missing but otherwise it looked to all be there. No obvious bad treatment but it has been used enough to get dirty. Things that were supposed to move moved and the things that were supposed be bolted down didn’t rattle around so I figured it was worth the money. I have probably had 20 of the 5.5-6hp motors and only had one I couldn’t get running. It had been under water so I used it for parts.

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are many varieties of addiction. Be glad you have chosen a harmless one. As for the money invested…you could have bought stock in the old GM, A & P, Sears or K Mart instead.
                      If you feel you have more motors than enough, trim your inventory…others may be waiting for
                      what you can live without.
                      Louis

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have done this plenty of times and im.sure I’m not done. I have gotten to where I don’t often travel too far for something that I don’t either really want or is in super condition. Long trips for moderately priced, iffy motors don’t happen too often. If it’s cheap and close though, there’s a strong possibility I could end up with it. You’re right Mark. This is a weird addiction.

Like Dave, I’m about 50 motors behind (maybe more). I am at a point where I need to start making room for new ones by getting rid of some that I have. That works sometimes… sometimes not so much. Don’t feel bad. You’ve had 20 or so 5.5s and have 4 or 5 now. I don’t know how many I have, but I know I haven’t sold 15 of them and I have more than that.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.