Home Forum Ask A Member Home made flywheels?

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member
      quote PM T2:

The large condenser used in this application does seem ridiculous. Having said that – I have seen some of the early P-series Johnson where they also used a very large diameter condenser when compared to what was on the A-series motors. Not sure that it was the same diameter as the coil – but it was big. I might have a dead one laying around somewhere…..

But with everything else on that set-up being as cobbled as it is, I guess using an overdosed condenser was just another part of the equation.

Hope this helps.

Best,
      PM T2

The huge condenser is a "DSM Electric Co., Detroit, MI" brand, and test
      at .35 mfd’s. I could find nothing on the Net about the company
      nor intended use of the condenser.

Prepare to be boarded!

joesnuffy
      Participant

With so many threads going on this motor I did remember seeing where someone had mentioned where the magneto actually came from. It also looks like the capacitor doesn’t really fit the slot its screwed into where the coil would normally be. You can also see where the other 2 spark plug wires would go on the back of the magneto. It would still be interesting to see if the 12 holes line up when you rotate it on the hub. Someone really went to a lot of effort to get it to run right combined with the adjustable cam.

"The mag plate is from a 1929 Johnson V-45 with 1 coil and point Assy removed. remove the set screw and pull it off , you probably want to replace with the missing Atwater Kent battery ignition set up with knob start. Or, you can drop a complete 1931- up Evinrude Speeditwin Assy. on it. Don’t try "U" Speeditwin as it is different taper. Jim Ross "

The one thing I wonder is why they would use the timers after 1929 if they could have just used points, condensers, and magnets on the flywheel.
        Joe

bill-loveland
        Participant
          quote joesnuffy:

The one thing I wonder is why they would use the timers after 1929 if they could have just used points, condensers, and magnets on the flywheel.
          Joe

A battery ignition system draws the energy for the creation of the spark from the battery, while a flywheel magneto system draws it from the rotational speed of the magnets in the flywheel. With a battery ignition, you don’t need any flywheel motion to generate a spark. No wrapping the rope around the flywheel, no standing up and pulling over compression. Just prime it, bump it and go.

Also, with a battery ignition and a two cycle motor, you can reverse it on the fly.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Bill, you make some good points.
            When I got the speedster home,
            I decided to pull it over with a rope
            for kicks……. just about pulled my
            arms out of their sockets!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.