Home Forum Ask A Member How to remove non-factory decals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is a question for anybody, but maybe especially MISSOURI members. Some states required motors to be registered and required decals on the motors. This is a really nice original and I’m toying with the idea of removing the registration decal. It’d be great if I could remove it and leave the maintenance decal behind it but I realize chances of that are pretty slim. I believe the registration decal is a vinyl type and the maintenance sticker is a water slide type.

So what do you recommend to remove it? Heat? Any of you Missouri members have much luck removing them without ruining the paint and/or decals underneath?

Thanks for any and all input!
      Scott

Attachments:

leeinnh
      Participant

hairdryer.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just warm it up to touch and it will just peel off

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

That decal doesn’t look all that old,so I would try heat. The underside decal looks nice, I agree.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

That’s too bad that Missouri requires those big ugly stickers on outboards. The point of that is what? Do they charge you a fee for that registration?

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
              Participant

As stated, careful use of a heat gun will soften the vinyl and its adhesive backing making it easy to remove. Goof Off or a similar product will clean up any adhesive left behind. Too much heat might soften the paint and you know the rest……

PSB: You think that sticker is ugly, check out this one on a ’56 Johnson RDE from Oklahoma I picked up. It wraps around the side and rear of the hood. The buyer of this ’56 Lone Star package had to put it on to make it legal on the highway or something. I’m sure glad we don’t require then here and I’d sure hate to be made to stick one on a freshly restored motor.

Attachments:

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

careful with the Goof Off… it loves paint to !

just curious, do these "stickers" prevent theft or is it just a money grab ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

squierka39
                  Participant

US Member

Another vote for hairdryer, and peel slowly. To remove any left over residue WD-40 also works for that and may be less aggressive in the decals than goof off. Good luck it’s a great looking motor under that sticker.

nj-boatbuilder57
                    Participant

best residue remover: naphtha

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A real heat gun will work miracles when it comes to removing non-factory decals. Instead of lining registration decals up on your boat like flags at the UN, a heat gun will take them off too.

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.