Home Forum Ask A Member How to remove non-factory decals

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    1957evinrude
    Participant

US Member

I have one of those also but decided to leave well enough alone. It’s a nice original and I’m too afraid to screw up the paint .

Attachments:

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

Warm it up with a hair dryer just until it starts to peel easy. WD40 will take off the glue, etc. with a little rubbing and time. Just be careful not to use anything like a scott pad or scrubber pad. I used WD and an old wash cloth. I spray it on, let it set a while and rub off what’s softened. Then you repeat. I also ordered some nylon (or whatever they are) single edged "razor blade shaped" scrapers off of Fleabay. They work well in stubborn areas and don’t usually scratch stuff. There are exceptions, so be careful.

kevinrude
        Participant

I’ve used Goof-Off to remove Ohio stickers from the late 60s through the 70s. It works. But as others have said, don’t rub too hard or too often or else the paint will come with it. You might be able to save yourself some money though because Goof-Off smells suspiciously like turpentine to me.

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!

Man am I happy about how this thing came off. I was worried about the paint and also (even more) about the vintage decal underneath. I used a hair dryer and it came off in 2 pieces. The paint was not damaged at all and niether was the vintage decal underneath. I’m stoked about that one having survived!

I wouldn’t hesitate to use this method anytime!

1957evinrude, I think you should go for it!

Thanks for all the input guys!
            Scott

Attachments:

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.