Home Forum Ask A Member I found out the problem with 1957 Johnson, and no one could have quested.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dobber
    Participant

Okay you guys have been really helpful, if you e been following my journey you know it’s been 6 months of money and frustration and I still am in a quandary. The master technician in Sausilito showed me the problem . The side engine mount is broken and it is causing the motor to jiggle side to side. This is what is causing the motor to jump out of forward gear. No I now has ever mentioned that as a problem on this website, frankly I’m a little surprised. Now what????? I’m into this boat and engine for well over 6-7k and the dude said it is a huge job to fix this mount. I ordered the parts from eBay and had them overnighted, but he wants at least 1000 bucks to take the whole dam thing apart and replace the mount, I also have one more gasket to replace. I can’t keep dumping thousands into this boat but I can’t give up now. I have the manual, should I just try and fix it myself. I am a salesman with not much mechanical ability. I will try to post some pictures again.

My retired neighbor has 2 boats in his back lot just sitting there , one is a center console sunbird with a Johnson 88 probably from the 80’s but he says it rubs. And I’m pretty sure he would give me a good deal. What the hell shoulf o do, all the smart old old old timers tell me to give up. But I cant

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

Are you a "tool guy"? Half the fun of old motors is using them….the other half is wrenching on them! They’re not very hard to fix yourself…

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I would have to be convinced that a broken mount on that style engine could cause the engine to pop out of gear…But, I’m the first one to admit anything can be possible.
          Replacing engine mounts on this engine is not a big deal, unless salt water corrosion is an issue. The side mounts are easy to replace, and the upper one is not that difficult either. $1000 seems like an excessive amount of money to charge, what is his labor rate??

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Broken engine mount causing it to jump out of gear?? I would have to be convinced also.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Like the others who have posted, I’m having trouble believing a broken motor mount would cause it to jump out of gear, but I suppose it’s remotely possible. That notion, coupled with the fact your guy wants $1000 for what is a relatively easy job (certainly not a "huge job" in my mind), makes me think you should either just do it yourself or find somebody else to wrench on it. A lot of "mechanics" that say they will work on these old motors seem to always charge extra just because it IS older.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I don’t know the horsepower of this motor, but I do know your mechanic is full of beans. Please don’t pay this guy $1000+. Would you please post what you have done so far?

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

frankr
                Participant

US Member

If one knows what he is doing, he can replace ALL of the motor mounts in a couple of hours or less. But it certainly helps to have a hoist of some kind.

rmhxruss
                  Participant

Actually most wrenches say the old ones are more easy to fix.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

let’s put it this way… I am a retired "telephone" person AKA Telco man. Never dreamed of working on oldies but with all the help here and utube videos, I have gone as far as I care as I have yet to crack one open to work the innards . ( to do list are to long)

You have put a lot of money in this an you have to decide if you wish to continue hurting your wallet. No way I would give a guy $1000 to fix an oldy for me… call me cheap. My love has limits

I would give it away, part it out or scrap it and get another good working on the web for $200.

take out your tools, your camera or video recorder and go for it … fix it yourself. Record your work as you go along to help you find your pebbles on the way back.

you will be pleased with yourself in the end.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

The older 1950s motors are certainly easier to work on and fix. My only experience is that for whatever reason, the outboard mechanics in my area just don’t want to fool around with an older motor so they usually quote some high number to scare you away. As Frankr notes, it shouldn’t take more than a couple hours to replace all the motor mounts on dobber’s motor – $1000 doesn’t pass the laugh test. I’d tell dobber to tackle this himself or find a friend that could help. The most satisfying repairs are the ones you do yourself.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.