Home Forum Ask A Member I found out the problem with 1957 Johnson, and no one could have quested.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

Pictures would be helpful to determine if the mount is truly broken. You have been told a lot of different stories by apparently different mechanics, and it is getting hard to follow. A broken motor mount is not a $1000 problem. Put away the wallet and break out some tools!

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I, too, have my doubts that a broken mount could cause a ’57 35 to jump out of gear. Now, if it were really a bit newer motor with Super Quiet, yeah, then I would believe it. I would love to see either a picture of the motor or at least, what the model number is on the swivel bracket.

You keep mentioning "Master Technician." By who’s standards? Yamaha calls their best, well-educated and tested techs, "Master Techs;" but that in NO way guarantees he knows the first thing about 50s OMCs. He certainly seems to be a master thief, though. I know today’s labor rates add up quickly. But after all his past work with little success, he kind of owes you some free, good will work, it seems to me. Then there are some guys who are master techs in their own minds, and who really can talk the talk; yet I wouldn’t let them near my lawn mower.

You know when you’re watching a horror movie and everyone in the theater is thinking, "NO!!! DON’T OPEN THAT DOOR!!!!" I’m pretty sure most of us on this site are kind of thinking that, right now…..

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Just for the record, he has a 1957 Johnson 35hp, according to his previous thread.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

I can’t see broken mounts causing that either. I’ll bet you need to find a set of New Old Stock gears, AND a new clutch dog to go with it. All of these new parts need to go into the original gearcase that their made for….. otherwise, they may not work. I remember one time that I put together a Big Twin lower unit from parts and pieces. The gears were from a Gale and the rest was Johnson Evinrude…. it would jump out of Fwd. now and then, as the boat was coming up on plane. The gears themselves looked excellent to me. I replaced it all with a new old stock gear set, and clutch dog, to fix the problem. I wonder if your ”rebuilt lower units” all have the engagement lugs rounded off, along with the clutch dog? It doesn’t take much and they will let go. Have you tried disconnecting the control cable at the engine, and shifting it manually? We have some guys in the club that may have some New Old Stock parts available for your motor, in case your’e interested. I wouldn’t dump that 1K into those motor mounts either!

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

It would be cheaper to ship the lower unit to someone and have them replace the clutch dog, than to pay this so called "Master Mechanic" another dime. $6,000?????? Forgive me, sir but this guy has taken complete advantage of you, and for that I am sorry…..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

george-emmanuel
              Participant

US Member

Dobber, I see you have Sausilito in your post….is that Sausilito Florida?? If so, we have a meet coming up in April on the Suwannee River that you should attend with your rig and let us see if we can help you. If you are in another State, hopefully someone will chime in and tell when their next meet is scheduled so you can attend. There’s no better place to go with a problem motor than a meet.

George

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

A couple of times, I’ve had friends bring me motors they have invested $$$ in to get fixed that still weren’t right and they were quoted more $$$. In all cases, they had taken the motors to small engines shops that hardly ever see an outboard, let alone an older one. This may not be the case with your mechanic, but it seems the ones my friends used were "learning on their motor", and, when confronted with something they have never done, like maybe the engine mount in your case, the mechanics give a high estimate because they don’t know how long it will take….and…they hope the high estimate will make you just go away. Now I have spent a lot of time on some motors, learning how to diagnose and/or replace something new, but I don’t think the owner should pay for my learning curve…..but then…I’m a retired hobby guy, self-taught on motors, taking them apart since I was 12 years old, and I do it now for fun on motors for friends and neighbors – I charge for parts, plus a case of beer for my labor….but when it becomes a friend of a friend of a friend, I tell them I don’t have time.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.