Home Forum Ask A Member Is there a 12 volt starter that would fit in a RDE-17 1955 Johnson 25 hp starter bracket?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

I know a guy that has either a RDE-17 1955 Johnson 25 hp or RDE-16 1954 Johnson 25 hp.
      I was thinking about purchasing it and going through the whole motor .Updating it with a 12 volt system (12 volt starter and 12 volt solenoid). Also putting on a fuel pump and so it can accept a single line gas tank.
      So the question is-

Is there a 12 volt starter that would fit in a RDE-17 1955 Johnson 25 hp starter bracket?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

the 6 volt starter will last a long time if you don’t run it to long at a time a well tuned motor starts very quick and will be fine. just change the solenoid to 12 v

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member

Other people would be running the motor.
          So I really would like to do it as electrically correct as possible

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The 12V and 6V starters have different bolt spacings. SOME 12V brackets can be tapped for a 6V starter, but not the other way around. Of course you could simply swap the brackets. If you can find one for a Johnson (they are different than Evinrude because of the hood mount)

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would think the 12 volt brackets for RD models should be easy to find. Dave, I’m assuming you have a few 35 hp RD models in your collection?
              Scott

EDIT: Sorry, I got you confused with "outbdnut" on the crestliner website. His name is Dave and I know he has a number of 35 hp Johnsons. I am confident you’ll find what you need if you post an ad on the webvertizer.

need2fish
              Participant

Or, if you have $100, you can take the starter to a competent electric motor repair shop and have them redo the windings for 12v.

At least that’s what cost me 20 years ago ! 😀

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member
                  quote FrankR:

The 12V and 6V starters have different bolt spacings. SOME 12V brackets can be tapped for a 6V starter, but not the other way around. Of course you could simply swap the brackets. If you can find one for a Johnson (they are different than Evinrude because of the hood mount)

I have this from a

RDS – 20 or RDS 22

Attachments:

Mumbles
                  Participant

That bracket will bolt right on to your motor but it doesn’t have the hood mounting pin. Hard to tell in the photos but it might not have the hole for the air silencer screw either. I’m using the same style bracket/starter on a ’57 Big Twin right now but it’s temporary and just to see if the motor will run.

Attachments:

wyo307
                    Participant

I had to get a bracket with the 12v starter to make it bolt up. The original 6v starter is much larger.

outboardnut
                      Participant

US Member

Wyo307 From what make and model number did you get that 12 volt bracket?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.