Home Forum Ask A Member Is there a 12 volt starter that would fit in a RDE-17 1955 Johnson 25 hp starter bracket?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m guessing that’s from a 57 or 58 RDE. Not the RDS-20 from ’58, but rather the RDE-19C. From ’57, either the RDE-19 or the RJE-19 should work.

Mumbles
      Participant

Are you sure one of those starters is 12 volt? I thought only the 6 volt ones came with the inspection band over the brushes.

wyo307
        Participant

Yes I am positive the 4001 is a 12 volt starter and it came off of a 1957 RDE-19.

Mumbles
          Participant

Something isn’t right as the MDH 4001M (OMC P/N 277432) starter shown mounted on the motor is a six volt starter. What’s the model number of the other starter?

olcah
            Participant

US Member

I believe there are both large diameter six volt starters (cira 1954) and smaller diameter (later) six volt starters. I think that the bracket and starter that Wyo has is likely from a 1956 30 HP and the 4001 starter is a six volt.

Mumbles
              Participant

Agreed. That MDH 4001M starter is also listed for a ’56 FD-10 fifteen horse Johnson, which is six volt.

olcah
                Participant

US Member

I have a white bracket with a starter that is stamped on the body "Autolite MDO-4002M 12V". It has all the connections of Wyo’s bracket and the body is about 1/16" larger in diameter than the 4001 starters. Distance between the starter mounting bolts is similarly larger than for the 4001 starters

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member
                    olcah
                    Participant

US Member

At the end of the thread identified above: "Thanks for the all of the information everyone. I crossed referenced the Arco #5376 and it is 12 volt, so I am assuming that the original Auto-Lite starter was as well. "

I am thinking that the Arco 12 V starter would therefore fit in the bracket used for the 4001 (6V) starter. That would be convenient. I do believe that the 4001 starter is really 6V but 12V works no problem. Last summer I ran my 1956 Johnson 30 hp a lot using a 4001 starter and a 12 Volt battery. It worked perfectly.

The real question is do you have a bracket that fits whatever starter you have. I think I would just order the Arco and find out or alternately send measurements (including bolt spacing and body diameter) of the old starter to Arco. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.