Home Forum Ask A Member kill switch for oldies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I just ordered 2 of these at $3.56 CDN each….and free shipping !!!

Pack of 10 is 25$ waterproof stainless …compact , discreet good connector points should make nice kill switch

https://www.amazon.ca/Metal-Momentary-B … n+switches

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

I’ve read the description about 4 times now, and I don’t see anywhere that it shows this switch to be N.O.

It most likely is, as that’s the most common…..but these are available in N.C. as well, so there’s no way to know based on the info provided.

Might want to verify with a meter before you install it….

outboard315
        Participant

I would go for the teather type kill switch, this way it is a safety device as well.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I was about to order a couple but they don’t ship to U.S. I guess that gets even for all us that won’t ship to Canada.

And..yeah, is it N.O.? probably, but.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I’ve used these lanyard switches – $8.00 and they have both normally open and normally closed contacts, along with a lanyard.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/seadog-universal-kill-switch-line.html

The ones crosbyman found may work well too, but I used to design electronic products, many with switches in them, and that taught me to be wary of switches with no published contact electrical ratings, and/or no suggested application. If the contacts are very light duty, made to switch low milliamp power circuits, the contacts may arc-weld together first time used with a bigger load. If that switch does self-destruct, at least you are not out much money! The $8.00 lanyard switches were designed for outboard kill switch application, so the contacts (with no published rating) should be rated to take the load.
              Dave

Mumbles
              Participant

I think these are what you want. Less than four bucks each CDN while avoiding the middleman and with free shipping to your door! You just gotta wait a while longer for them to arrive.

If you shop Ebay for them, study the photos and description carefully as some of them are designed to mount on round handlebars instead of poking thru a hole in your motors cowl.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Safety-Tether-L … 1a2d2a5d27

Attachments:

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

true but it says CAR momentary switch which to me should be normally open with momentary CLOSING contacts ex: horn button switch

current wise I am not overly worried as it will simply carry a ground from one point set to the other to kill it while being in a closed state … I suspect any current will not be so great… as to damage the switch .

Sparking wise I think the condensers will gobble some of the surge as they normally do to protect from arching across the points

THe switch is destined for " Car" use so I assume it capable of handling the load

I wont be punching holes my engine base before I can test this switch ! I figured for $7.52 no big deal

the 10 pack units look identical to my purchase

the10 unit pack for $25 says….

momentary type, push it– on, release it — off .
                  Mounting Cut Hole: 16mm
                  Max Switch Rating: 3A/250VAC
                  Terminal Type: Screw
                  Fully submersible for up to 30 minutes without damage

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    quote Mumbles:

I think these are what you want. Less than four bucks each CDN while avoiding the middleman and with free shipping to your door! You just gotta wait a while longer for them to arrive.

If you shop Ebay for them, study the photos and description carefully as some of them are designed to mount on round handlebars instead of poking thru a hole in your motors cowl.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Safety-Tether-L … 1a2d2a5d27

I agree safety wise but this for my 6r74 & it will likely become just a kicker along side my Etec I won’t be hooking myself up to it and I want something solid and un-obstructive

Mumbles
                    Participant

The only six horse motors I’ve ever seen with kill switches was on a pair of ’78’s I had. I don’t know why OMC put them on as I never used them and the motors were shut down by retarding the throttle all the way as was always done in the past on these models.

Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant

I ordered a few of the switches Mumbles shows in his response. They work great, and when you take the lanyard with you when you leave the boat at the dock overnight, the switch becomes an anti theft device ,motor won’t start.
                        Placed my switch on the bottom of the cowl below the carb,can’t really see it down there. I’m real happy with these switches.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                        Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.