Home Forum Ask A Member Locked up RD11

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ryanjames170
    Participant

I was looking at a froze up RD11 today and I was wondering if you guys think it’s Evan worth messing with or if I should pass on it..

And if so what should I look at on it before I buy?

chris-p
      Participant

If you pay accordingly. Like under 50 bucks. Maybe youll get lucky and just the rings are lightly rusted to the bores. If its stuck stuck, it will need to be opened up, the cost of parts will FAR outweigh its value, unless its sentimental. Which isn’t the case here.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

It could be anything from rings to rusted gears in the lower unit – or – I’ve had a couple locked up motors be from broken impeller pieces jamming the water pump. And I agree with Chris – since you don’t know, consider it "parts motor" pricing.
          Dave

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The thing I enjoy the most about this hobby,is learning about something completely new and different.When I consider buying an engine needing a lot of work,I put what I might learn into the equation.It might be a loss in terms of money,but a really valuable education.

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member
              quote Stanley:

The thing I enjoy the most about this hobby,is learning about something completely new and different.When I consider buying an engine needing a lot of work,I put what I might learn into the equation.It might be a loss in terms of money,but a really valuable education.

I like that thinking Stanley; there is a lot of truth to it under certain circumstances. I have applied it a few times to situations I have found myself in; I find it works "after the fact" as well…..as in a way to justify buying something …..

chris-p
              Participant
                quote Stanley:

You should come over to my house, I have a lot of learning experiences for you to buy! 🙂

baron0418
                Participant

US Member

The general appearance of the motor might give you a clue as to how severe the "stuck" is. No sure fire thing this, but If it is clean, likely not bad, Covered in a fine layer of dirt/slime she has likely been swimming. ect. use a little common sense. Sadly I saw a really clean motor once that was locked up tight. it had been swimming and the owners just put it away!

aquasonic
                  Participant

US Member

I view seized motors as a calculated risk. Some of my best running ones came to me seized. The key is to think of it as hopelessly seized and pay accordingly. Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed that way.

On a positive note, some of the seized motors are just very lightly ring stuck. My last one, a Johnson QD-18, was freed up in about 10 minutes. The bores are smooth and the rings are in good condition, so you never know. I recall LLoyd L. mentioning that lower hour motors, with better compression, are actually more prone to getting stuck.

ryanjames170
                    Participant

yeah this engine i can tell was converted for use with a steering wheel and has a few broken/missing parts.. i mean its so hard to tell and im going to see if i can get the guy to let me take it home to look at it first before i pay for it.. as i dont really want to get a POS

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote Chris_P:

You should come over to my house, I have a lot of learning experiences for you to buy! 🙂

Yeah, sounds like my pole barn – motors have found their way here so fast in the last few years, I’m about 50 "learning experiences" behind right now. This summer I think I’ve spent way too much time fixing motors for friends and neighbors…..but….fixing those can be fun and sometimes "learning" too! …..and I I often get paid with beer! ( I don’t take money for my labor – that’s like getting paid for having fun!). I just got around to putting lower unit seal kits in my 1958 35 Buccaneer and my 1961 40 Lark III. Next lower unit seal kit will go in my 35 Javelin. All these have been leaking a bit for several years. The seal kits are not my favorite thing to do! Ok – enough of this – back to the Locked up RD 11 subject – yeah – I’d buy it for about $50 to $75.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.