Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for outboard for father/son building project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    dblply2
    Participant

Hi all,
      I’ve been keeping my eyes open on CL and other sites for a reasonable deal, but in my area, it looks like they are far and few between.
      My 12 year-old son and I started building a boat together in Sept. and are hoping to finish this Aug. I’d like to find a decent running Mark 20 or KF7 that we could put on it but am not having much luck. I thought I would throw something on AOMCI to see if anyone might have some ideas.

The building project has been a great experience. It has given us time set aside to work together and a chance for me to teach him more about tools and taking care of them and your work space. We’ve even had some really deep conversations.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Ross (greater Seattle area)

Here’s a pic of what it will look like completed:

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

I have a mark 25. But I am in NY.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

That’s a cool looking boat! and a great Father-son project! I don’t believe the KF7 has a gearshift, so the Mark 20 would be a better choice. For a boat like that, and an old motor, I’d go with Johnson or Evinrude, maybe a 15 or 18 HP. 10 may not plane it off, maybe a KG7 or a KH7 would, but not a KF7. The old Mercurys were a bit faster back then, but , even when new, required a lot of TLC to keep them runnin’….and they were really noisy compared to the Johnson/Evinrudes. The Mercs also did not have quite the low end torque the johnson/Evinrudes had for planing the boat off. The KF7, with it’s on board gas tank that holds a bit over a gallon, will need filling often. Others can differ with me , but growing up with family and friends having all these old motors around the family lake place back inthe 1950s/60s, Mercurys were noisy and not very reliable until around 1980 (the 40 HP was an exception – that one seemed to hold up well,but was noisy). Dad bought a Mark 25 new in 1958 for boating and skiing on a 14′ aluminum boat and it was the biggest lemon I’ve ever seen, in almost every 2 weeks for warranty repairs. Got rid of it after one year switching to a Johnson. Keep in mind that people who race old Mercurys, or anything else old, rebuild them frequently. The Johnsons and Evinrudes are also easier to work on.
          Dave

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

I agree merc’s are noise and fast but used less gas. But did not have the problems your father had. I had a lot of different models in the late 50’s early 60’s. like any other motor IF taken care of I would run mine all summer long no problems. I also agree OMC’s are easier to work on if you don’t know what you are doing. this is my opinion only not down grading others or other brands

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I must admit that Dad’s Mark 25 got used a lot – 200 gallons of gas is what we averages each summer, while most people average maybe 20 gallons/summer.
              Dave

20mercman
              Participant

US Member

I am in no way offended, but I have heard that "Mercury’s are hard to work on compared to an OMC" so much that many folks take it for fact. I just don’t think it is true, at least for me. I find that my Mercury’s are easier to work on then my OMC motors. The OMC’s seem to have so many extra parts, and brackets and linkages that are just busy. They run great, and I have several of them, so I am not biased against my Johnson/Evinrude motors, I wouldn’t have them if I didn’t like them. I can get a Mk-20 power head off in 10 minutes, and have it in exploded view in another 15 minutes. As for breaking down, I have to disagree. A Mk-25 in good shape is just as reliable as my FD-10, and will outrun it all day. Lighter and smaller also. They are more needy for the right prop, as I think that the OMC motors have a wider torque RPM band, and you can load up an OMC with less impact on performance.

Steve

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone by running down Mercurys. I have several of them and will likely accumulate more as time goes by, but for a first time father-son project, I would not recommend them. I love running them on hydroplanes and I think the newer ones (1980’s – on up) are really good motors and helped OMC go bankrupt due to some issues their later motors had. What I said is my one persons "2 hp" on the subject. Whatever motor you end up with for a boat like that, I strongly recommend a gearshift and an external gas tank that holds 4 to 6 gallons.
                  Dave

auldscott
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a friend who built what appears to be a very similar boat for his grandkids. It is powered by a mid-1980s Johnson 30 (he restores and runs classic Mercurys) and will plane very nicely.

If you want a classic Mercury, and are willing to accept the "old motor" potential woes and maintenance, find a nice Mark 25, even if you have to pay for shipping. The 25s use a conventional two-lever remote control and the steering and shift adaptors can be found; possible but not so easy with K series motors or the Mark 20.

That said, the important thing is that you buy what you want for your boat. Each of us has his or her own ideas, and all are valid – for each of us. If you simply want a motor to run on you and your son’s boat, and do not want to fix or restore it, look for a modern 20-30 hp. If you want to make restoring and maintaining the motor part of the fun, buy what grabs you. Mercurys are like barely tamed horses, urgent and barely civilized, but thrilling. OMCs are polite and capable (which does not mean boring). Exotics like Scott-Atwaters/McCullochs are a bit mysterious, but they are good performers.

jcrigan
                    Participant

I happen to have a Mark 25 and located 30 miles south of Seattle. Something to consider on these old Mercuries is that they don’t handle the salt water very well.

davidk
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote auldscott:

Mercurys are like barely tamed horses, urgent and barely civilized, but thrilling. OMCs are polite and capable (which does not mean boring). Exotics like Scott-Atwaters/McCullochs are a bit mysterious, but they are good performers.

Excellent synopsis!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.