Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for outboard for father/son building project

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member
      quote auldscott:

Mercurys are like barely tamed horses, urgent and barely civilized, but thrilling. OMCs are polite and capable (which does not mean boring). Exotics like Scott-Atwaters/McCullochs are a bit mysterious, but they are good performers.

I admire your creative descriptions, and they are right-on! Kind of sounds like describing 3 different girlfriends!….Now, wives have occasionally referred to outboard motors as’"the other women" because of the amount of time we sometimes devote to them.

I have to go now and attempt to fix a "Mysterious Scott-Atwater" for a friend.
      Dave

dblply2
      Participant

Thanks for the advice gents!
        While I love the thought of running it with a vintage motor, the draw to a more hassle free/reliable motor is there as well.
        The other part is that I need to consider the budget 🙂 My son is half owner on this venture and we need to keep his costs down.

At least we don’t have to have the motor until the end of July. So I have a bit of time.
        One question though: short shaft or long? I haven’t cut the transom yet, and need to make a decision soon.
        I’m leaning on going short.

Thoughts?

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

I would go long shaft. can ALWAYS go shot later much easier than the reverse.

westwind
          Participant

Canada Member

I’m a Merc fan, but save yourself some grief and $$ and get a later 50’s Johnson/Evinrude 18. They are quite common but there are really nice color combinations. They use the Universal magneto so the parts are common and cheap (compared to Merc). No surprise special tools needed. Water pump parts are cheaper, easier to find, less chance for a bad lower unit (Merc didn’t use stainless back then). If you like the Johnson/Evinrude, you can venture of into Mercury land in the future. YMMV

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

If you are going where the waves get big, with a long shaft transom, you are less likely to take water over the back when idling in big waves or backing up.
              Dave

dblply2
              Participant

So I found a ’58 Johnson Sea Horse 18 for sale locally. It probably hasn’t run in a while. Are they hard to get back up running? Is $180 a reasonable price.

Chris
                Participant

I’m also near Seattle. The prices of old outboards are always a bit higher around here than they are in the Midwest where most of them were made, and probably a good portion of members here. I would say that $180 is reasonable as long as it has good compression and has decent paint, and is all complete. You will want to expect to pay about $150-200 to get it running. Maybe more, maybe less. Will likely need new coils, so be prepared to pull the flywheel. Impeller is a must. Carb clean with a new float is very likely. That short list is probably the minimum, and you’re looking at about $150 right there. Seaway Marine will be your friend. They’re up in Lynwood.

So, compare that to a motor that the owner can show you running, in this region, probably $400 minimum for a 1950’s 18hp.

dblply2
                  Participant

Thanks

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I was a Merc fellow for nearly 50 years (3.9, 9.8, 20, 50, 45 ) went ETEC at 57 when I retired … great motor

but now i enjoy fixing up J&E oldies TN27 5hp up to mid 70s 9.5hps magneto ignitions only ….for me

easy to work on ( at my level anyway) parts available, and a good book to keep them going

http://162.144.28.33/

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s some good reading for you. The second link is a series of articles
                        written for the home boat building folks about cheap power.
                        http://precisionservoutboard.com/about/ … oint-plan/
                        http://www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html
                        I have a ’57 Johnson 18hp that is my go to fishing motor.
                        Love it!
                        Good luck with your project.
                        Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.