Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for project motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    steves
    Participant

Hello again New member only second time using the forum.I am looking to buy either a 60s,70s or 80s Johnson for a rebuild project.My grandson and I will be working on it together and he is excited.Anything in the 9.5-20hp range would be great As long as it turns over I’m not too concerned about compression because we would figure to put new rings in her anyway Pretty much a complete overhaul.I live in Annapolis so I could pick up if it was within 3-hrs or so.Im happy to pay what you think is a fair price .Any help would be appreciated.

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

I think you’ll find that the motors are out there for next to nothing, particularly if you put the word out there. If you or your grandson are on Facebook, put a callout to your friends, asking folks to poke around their garages or basements to see what they’ve got. An ad on our site might work, too.

If you were closer, I’ve got a few that might have fit the bill…

chris-p
        Participant

You are more than 3 hrs from me as well or I have a pile of motors that you could pick from! Love hearing about the Grandkids getting involved.

Just donated a truck load of TNs and TDs to the Boyscouts.

rook49
          Participant

Check out Craigslist.com for vintage outboard motors under "boat parts" . I’ve found lots of them in my area.

My latest find was a 1957 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 hp that was in excellent condition for $275.00. A carb cleaning and a tune up was all it needed.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Yeah – go to Craigslist, and, like Rook49 said, go to "boat parts". run searches with the word Antique, and again with the word Vintage and see what comes up in your area. But…..1980’s and maybe 1970’s motors may be too new to come up with those words. At the left of Craigslist you can put in a max m price to filter out those who are asking way too much.
              Dave

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try to find one that was used in fresh water…You may have to drive a little farther to get it, but it will be worth it…
                It is hard to recommend one particular horsepower, model, without knowing what boat you will be using.
                Before buying, be sure to check compression, and have a guick look at the gearlube to make sure the gearcase is not full of water. Look for signs of overheating and obvious physical damage.
                Tell us more about what size boat you have and what you plan to do with your rig. Most of the OMCs will not need a powerhead overhaul, but they will need a new water pump impeller along with a complete ignition/fuel system servicing. The 50s OMCs are great, but you will need the two line pressure tank. Fuel tanks that are rusted/fouled inside are useless…

steves
                Participant

Thanks to everyone who responded.As a new member Its great to belong to this forum.Before joining I had no idea where to go for information and trying to find a project motor.Thete is a buisness not too far from me in Easton Md called American Outboard It’s an old building with millions of parts and thousands of old motors run by Dora I believe very nice lady I think you could practically get any part you are looking for there Thing is she is very reluctant to part with a motor for a project.Their Thing is fixing them up and selling as running and selling very hard to get parts.
                  I probably made a mistake saying I would only be willing to drive 3 hours to pickup a motor .I just came back from a 6 hour trip from Connecticut to Maryland where I live to pick up a 65 Johnson so to Chris P if you have a list or whatever and tell me where you are located I would not rule out paying a visit

steves
                  Participant

Forgot to mention again I am into restoring Boston Whalers.I have restored two 13’ers.I have 9 grandchildren and so far taught the oldest two how to handle a boat from safety to driving and maintaining.They now use my 18’ Whaler regularly My Project motors will either go on a small Whaler or just an aluminum rowboat I prefer the Whalers because they are safer
                    Looking for my next 11 or 13’ Whaler for restoration now actually if anyone knows of one So far the two Ive done are 60sand 70s models They never get old

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editions … un-forever
                      http://162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manual … on.html#/0

2 good books to have mid 50s to late 60s are easy to work on … no fancy electronics

utube is your friend … lots of help available

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

49morphew
                      Participant

US Member

Welcome Steve. I’m so glad you mentioned your admiration for Boston Whaler 13’4" sport boats. My grandpa bought one new in 1977 with a Johnson 35 on it. I grew up skiing and tubing behind that boat in the early to mid eighties till I got my boating safety certificate at 12 years old. After that I was allowed to take it out on my own. I thought I was the coolest guy on the water….and my grandpa always touted those boats as the safest ones money could by. If you end up in Wisconsin any time soon I have a few project motors that I’d be happy to put towards your cause. You’re providing something to your grandkids that’s becoming hard to come by. Kudos friend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.