Home Forum Ask A Member Looking for project motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you know what they say…

help your kids ( & gran kids) develop good habits before they develop bad habits….

wish my gran kids would have an interest in oldies but the draw of Xboxes.. PS4.. Ipods is to strong. 🙁

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, based on you having the 13′ whaler, I would look for a decent 22CI OMC, I am assuming you need a short shaft….The 60s models are great, simple and run nice…The 70s versions of these engines didn’t idle as nicely, and I would avoid any of the models with the "hybrid-low tension" ignition system.
        The 32CI OMCs are great also, avoid the 1976 35hp though, it has the low tension ignition and overheat issues…The best versions of these engines were from 1980-1990s…They were available in 20-35hp, and had both style gearcases: conventional split style, and the thru hub gearcases…

amuller
        Participant

I would definitely second the "fresh water motor" thought. I used to live on the East Coast and most motors had been used in brackish or salt water. Pretty much every fastener could be expected to be a struggle. Here, in Minnesota, motors generally come apart without a struggle. Working on them is just a lot more fun.

Out of curiosity, are you really limiting yourself to Johnson as opposed to Evinrude? For the most part they are the same.

76-j
          Participant

Many AOMCI members from Maryland as well as many non-members from everywhere, attend the Mays Landing NJ Events;
            The next Mays Landing gig is Sept 15- the following text was copy / pasted directly from the Knucklebusters website—
            September 15, 2018 Mays Landing, NJ [Jim Purcell – Knuckle Buster Chapter]
            Lake Lenape Park features a convenient dock area, a spacious beach, ample parking and clean facilities. The event begins at 8 am with registration, coffee and donuts. The $7 registration fee covers the cost of the event. Contact Jim Purcell at purcells2@comcast.net or 302-563-2375 for more information.

*** There’s oodles of motors ( non-runners ) that show up here for on-the-cheap , and / or "freebies"

76-j
            Participant

edit- Mays Landing is a FRESH WATER event; Lake Lenape is fed by The Winding River and has a Dam similar to The Super Meet at Constantine , Mi
              jpgs of Mays Landing a dozen years ago–

http://aomci.org/2006mayslanding/index.html

steves
              Participant

Just checking back in and reading responses Thanks Guys for all of the valuable info This discussion group is invaluable and so much help from good people willing to help a newbie I’m going to look at some of the motors recommended by fleetwin.Thanks for stearing me in the right direction guys !

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Steve – For project motors, Put out the word to friends and neighbors that you are into the old outboard hobby and motors may come your way. Before the 1960s, few people owned boats, but lots of people had motors and you could rent a boat on most lakes and use your own motor. Every year, I get people who say Dad’s (or Grandpa’s) old motor is sitting in my garage – just get it out of here before I toss it out! I get about five/year that way.

If I recognize a motor that has some $$ value, I tell them and make them an offer that is usually turned down (they say just take the thing) – then I make sure a case of beer gets to them.
                  Good Luck!
                  Dave

steves
                  Participant

Late getting back thanks Dave for the advice

steves
                    Participant

Sorry havnt logged in for a month now Thank you for the kind words I always had a small runabout growing up.Always enjoyed getting them ready for the season too I just bought a 1965 Johnson 40 hp to rebuild This was the exact engine I had on my 13’ Whaler and I learned how to drive and ski on that boat This motor pushed it to almost 40 mph And I remember how quiet it was Will be fun Now all I have to do is find a 60’s 13’ Whaler to rebuild and put it on If I am ever in Wisconsin I will look you up for sure Take Care Steve S

steves
                      Participant

Thanks for the kind words and it sounds like We has similar experiences growing up I loved all of my small runabouts and getting them ready for Summer Found a 40 hp 1965 Johnson to rebuild Same one on my first 13’ Whaler now all I need is the Whaler If I am ever in Wisconsin I will definitely look you up

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.