Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit 1957 Johnson 35hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dobber
    Participant

well i had the lower unit taken apart and reversed the clutch dog, and put it back together with new seals and o rings………..and the problem just got worse. now when i run it the engine skips and misses and eventually grinds to a halt and the whole dame engine pops out of the water. mind you it runs fine when idling and going slow. new gears are a lot of money, i think at this point just replacing the clutch dog would not be enough. SHOULD I BUY A NEW USED LOWER UNIT? are they easy to install? how do i know the gears are going to be good down there? and lastly. DO U HAVE A LOWER UNIt? I’m in northern calif in the wine country

chris-p
      Participant

Well I have a lot of lower units, but hopefully someone local to you has one they could sell you. The shipping from me would be more than the unit is worth.

What did the lugs look like on the gears? Was the reverse side of the dog lugs worn as well? Were any of the splines broken or chipped? I would assume not if you put them back in.

If you buy a rebuilt lower unit from a trusted member, you just need to bolt it up and away you go. I say trusted, and knows what they are doing.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, you never know what you are getting with a used lower unit…No way of knowing without disassembling it. So, you will want to be sure it is returnable just in case it has clutch dog wear or oil leaks.
          Keep in mind, that you may have shift handle linkage problems, or perhaps a loose shift rod connectors creating problems also….

gjonz
          Participant

Replace the clutch dog. But check to see if the gears are worn. Gear sets are plentiful.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You may have wear to the clutch dog linkage and aluminum fork causing problems also…
              Post pictures if you decide to repair what you have….

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

I’d get a new clutch dog AND forward gear. Probably not that much more money than a used lower unit plus shipping.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Sounds like someone already reversed the clutch dog years ago and now both ends are worn out.
                  Dave

vintin
                  Participant

There is a bell crank under the powerhead that can become worn and cause sloppy shifting.

david-bartlett
                    Participant

I think this happens more in remote controlled motors than those operated mostly at the tiller. I have observed that people shift slower using controls, or it could just be that the added friction of the cables contribute to the speed/deliberateness of the shift action. When shifting at the motor it is much easier to get a nice crisp shifting action. In any case, once you get it fixed, be sure to shift quickly.

JMHO

chinewalker
                      Participant

US Member

Also, check tha someone hasn’t messed with the adjustment of the shift handle to the shift shaft. There are two bolts involved, one in line with the shaft tha bolts them together, and one perpendicular to the shaft that gives a friction fit. Adjust so that the handle is fully engaged in forward, so you can feel it hitting the face of th gear when you shift by hand. Trial and error involved.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.