Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 20 won’t run

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    hiram1914
    Participant

I’m having the same problem with my Martin 20 and want to know if the original motor in this thread was ever repaired?? If so, what did the owner (jimbrizzolara) do that made it work??

My motor seems to be in great condition, but it is acting as though it’s not getting spark (spark plug is wet). The magneto checks out (new coil and condenser) and even at 3/8″ gap I get a white-hot spark on a plug grounded to the block. I’ve rechecked the carburetor, the poppet valve and even the timing and everything seems to be as it should. Any suggestions???

Tom
      Participant

US Member

I had two of these a while back, and IIRC, it flooded VERY easily. Try closing down the carb and roping it over to clear out the motor. Then open the needles a little bit at a time while trying to start the motor.

Also, I think the idle adjustment is an air valve, not a fuel valve. So opening that up more actually leans out the motor, not richening it.

Tom

hiram1914
        Participant

I’ll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

hiram1914
          Participant

Tried your suggestion, Tom, and there’s still no hint of firing. The spark plug, even leaned out, is damp. I switched spark plugs, even though I doubted it would make a difference (It didn’t). This one’s really stumping me…

Anonymous

Use a Champion LJ17M spark plug gaped at .035

hiram1914
              Participant

Do you mean the Champion J17LM plug???

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.