Home Forum Ask A Member Maxwell Tecumseh Canadian aka Spartan 5

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bill-loveland
    Participant

Can anybody shed some light on this oddball? Is Maxwell a name associated with Tecumseh, or did they make tags for customers who wanted their name on it? It doesn’t show well in the pics, but on the tiller handle is cast "MADE IN CANADA". Darned if I can make out what’s in the triangle above it. The gas tank is chromed steel, the cowls are very lightweight fiberglass. The blue isn’t original. And the lower unit is unlike anything I’ve seen elsewhere.

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I can’t say as I’ve ever seen one before. The bottom of the Maxwell label says Made in USA.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

bill-loveland
        Participant

I’ve had it for years, bought it at a Canadian meet, probably the Humber AGM, maybe one of the last Kirk Koves. Always referred to it as a "Maxwell" and some long-time Canadian collectors thought it might have some connection with the Montreal Triton/Arrow motor, but I don’t think so now.

Mumbles
          Participant

What you have appears to be a ‘Spartan 5’ which were built in Richmond BC for fishermen in the Vancouver area. Metalex, the company which built them, is still in business recycling lead batteries now. There were two models built, the Spartan 5 and a smaller one called a Pintail.

Here’s a couple photos of my Spartan 5, which needs the inertia wheel which fits under the motor. The core fell out of mine. Also note how the manufacturer borrowed the Martin Outboard logo.

Check out the history of Metalex and there’s a small mention of outboards and here’s a snip taken from the old Maple Leaf Chapters newsletter.

https://metalexleadrecycling.com/about/history/

Attachments:

bill-loveland
            Participant

Mumbles – you’ve solved a twenty year mystery! Thank you!

Any idea where the "MAXWELL" comes from? Is the label still on your powerhead?

Tom
              Participant

US Member

They stole the logo guy from the Martin?

bill-loveland
                Participant

quote Tom Manley:

They stole the logo guy from the Martin?

And gave him a mustache

Mumbles
                  Participant
                    quote bill_loveland:

Not a problem. That’s what we are here for!

Any idea where the “MAXWELL” comes from? Is the label still on your powerhead?[/size]

Is the label under the cover? I can take a look the next time I’m over at the other shop.

bill-loveland
                    Participant

quote Mumbles:

quote bill_loveland:

Not a problem. That’s what we are here for!

Any idea where the “MAXWELL” comes from? Is the label still on your powerhead?

Is the label under the cover? I can take a look the next time I’m over at the other shop.

Yes, it’s just above the oil fill plug.

Mumbles
                      Participant

OK, I was just over there but I’ll try and get back in the next day or two. One or two days wait shouldn’t matter if it took twenty years to ID this motor! 😀

By the way, would you know of any Spartan 5 donor motors? The cracked inertia wheel on mine is holding me up from trying to start it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.