Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 110 (9.8) year?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bunky
    Participant

I picked up another Mercury 110 9.8hp and would like to figure out what year it is so I can order some parts…   the tag has been removed..

The motor has a blue band, HEI ignition with red coils or covers.

I looked where others in post have said to check   like on the head and block area by the word lightning. But no serial number there…

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

blue is 72 and up area

1 user thanked author for this post.
        crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

from early 70s upward  Merc was evolving to electronic ignition ex: with stator CDI  ignition under control of a trigger coil ( no mechanical points) .

around mid 70 they had  phase maker ignition a bit of a mix  of CDI  and points  MAKING contacts to fire the points. Normal magnetos usually OPEN their contact surfaces to generate sparks but PHASE MAKER  closes the points to fire.

here is a good read on Merc ignition  by M.Mohat

https://wrcoutboards.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/The-Phase-Maker-CDI.pdf

https://wrcoutboards.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Generator-Coils-Explained.pdf

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bunky
          Participant

Thanks for the responses

I believe I do have the phase maker ignition..  I think there’s a sticker saying this…

Thanks again

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
              seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

Sometimes the serial number is on the TOP of the block….over by the Exhaust Port….back almost under the flywheel.  Very faint Look there also.

I have attached some cowling pics.  Once you determine what the year most likely is….you can determine the serial number range from the chart.  Mercury parts are sold by serial number;  not year. 

bunky
                Participant

Here’s a picture of the engine

seakaye12
                  Participant

US Member

It’s best to never use the stop button to shut that vintage of Mercury down.  Choke it instead.  Also;  never rope it over with the spark plug wires disconnected.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

new impeller , carb job  and GC oil  with  some  masking tape and Mercury black  and it will look brand new !   dirty  phase maker points are  not so worrysome it semms …. see article

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member

They are great motors if they have been maintained.  Check for leaks/water intrusion in the lower unit.  Hopefully you  have spark.  Ignition components on those are expensive and can exceed the value of the motor.

It’s always best to work from a serial number.  It’s probably on the block somewhere;  you just haven’t found it yet.  

The pic attached shows another location for the serial number.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.