Home Forum Ask A Member Mid 80’s Mercury Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mike-stroz
    Participant

I’m going to be looking at a mid 80’s Mercury 6hp for my brother today and I was just wondering if there’s anything special I should be looking for. I know it’s going to need the basic service items (water pump, lower unit oil, carb kit, etc.), and a new recoil rope, but I have no experience with motors this new so I’m not really sure what to look for, like if there are any known weak points.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

wires

mike-stroz
        Participant

Ok, I’ll definitely make sure the wiring isn’t chewed up or missing. Anything in particular?

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

they just detiorated.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

They are nice running motors. A couple things to note about them, they have a fuel pump, built into the side of the carburetor. Sometimes they are a pain to repair, along with the carburetor. The other thing, (depending on the year) is the CD unit,
              or ignition switch box. That can be an expensive part to replace. An engine serial # will help to identify what you are looking at.

mike-stroz
              Participant

I ended up picking it up in trade for 5 junky 40’s Johnson and Scott Atwaters. Luckily it’s got a nice fat blue spark on both cylinders. The serial is 656487-7. Overall looks really nice but it’s been sitting a few years. The carb/fuel pump and water pump should be all it needs.

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

Sounds like a good deal, especially with good spark on both. When you take the fuel pump apart, pay close attention to the orientation of the gaskets and diaphragms.. it’s easy to mix things up.

mike-stroz
                  Participant

Will do, can’t be any harder than the Ohlsson and Rice carbs I’ve rebuilt. I can’t seem to find any info on the serial number, it doesn’t seem to be in Mercury’s database as far as I can tell. I’d like to find a parts manual to see how everything goes together and so I cab find the correct replacement for the water pump and a carb kit

mike-stroz
                    Participant

Apparently it has a WMB-3 carb meant for a 9.8hp motor

mike-stroz
                      Participant

Actually, scratch the carb kit. I only need to know what water pump to get. Someone rebuilt the carb within the last few years. All the gaskets are really nice and the fuel pump diaphragm is still supple.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.