Home Forum Ask A Member Need help ID,ing this outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    brewcity
    Participant

I came across this motor at an estate sale, but looks are deceiving. But after further review, it appears to be a repaint. But trying to find the origins of this I keep running into dead ends. So I was hoping someone might be able to help.

It looks similar to an 1954 Elgin, but the numbers don’t match.

I’m hoping the pictures will help.

Thanks, BrewCity

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

No idea for sure, but Chrysler did buy out West Bend….

"West Bend continued to add to their product line and, at a time when other outboard firms like Champion & Oliver foundered, they forged ahead. Their styling went from unusual to boring with the 1963 models, but sales surged. With the closing of OMC’s Gale division in 1964 and McCulloch’s lack of interest in their outboard lineup, West Bend found themselves in 3rd place behind OMC and Mercury. This caught the eye of the giant Chrysler Corporation who, heeding the ‘diversification" watchword of the 1960s, purchased the West Bend Outboard division and added it to their Chrysler Marine lineup in 1965."

Prepare to be boarded!

brewcity
        Participant

I want to thank you for the reply, I’m wondering if the model / serial number on the tiller handle is a Chrysler trait.

auldscott
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That is a most interesting machine. Elgins had the model and serial numbers on the tiller, but the numbers were different. It looks like an Elgin that was repainted, perhaps in the factory. I have a 1959 Scott 5 hp that is black, but under the black paint is a layer of teal green, which is the color of the 1958 5 hp motors.

One thing that strikes me odd is that by 1957, Elgin 7.5s had both a front and a side throttle/spark lever, and this one has front only. The speed settings decal is crooked…doesn’t look factory…but there’s that non-Elgin tiller tag…

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

The overall shape and look is like the 1964 3-1/2HP West Bend in the photos when you scroll down a bit at this site:

http://oddjobmotors.com/west-bend.htm

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Very interesting indeed – weird serial number which is usually a five digit number. West Bend built outboards for export. The motors they built for Seoars were Elgins and they added 571 in front of there model numbers. 3875 was a special 7.5 horse Elgin built in 1958. I went to work for Wards in 1962 to repare Gale built Sea Kings. Wards was notified that ’63 would be the last year that the Galesburg division would build outboards. Wards wrote West Bend to see about them building Ward’s Sea King and received an answer from Chrysler’s Marine devision. A group from Chrysler put on a service clinic to introduce us to our new "Hawthorn" built Sea Kings prefixed "VWB" from Chrysler. Chrysler’s service manual shows the 7.5 HP model only built from 1979 to 1984. The service illustrations look like your outboard . . . 🙄

jpatti75
                Participant

US Member

Hmmmm…that is an interesting beast. It does look like someone (perhaps the factory) repainted it white over the Original Elgin green color. The decal placement is pretty sloppy, so I wouldn’t rule out a DIY job. That shifting leg was introduced in the early 1950s (~1953). The powerhead and the faceplate over the carburetor makes it around a 7.5HP, but West Bend also made 6HP and 8HP models that looked like that. The powerhead design goes back to the 1940s. I would put my money on it being an early 1950s West Bend Elgin 7.5HP that was repainted later to look like a Chrysler after West Bend sold their outboard division to Chrysler. The serial number plate makes no sense. Jim Moffat is the club Elgin guru…he might be able to help solve the mystery.

JP

brewcity
                  Participant

I thank you all for the help, but sadly I’m still baffled.
                    Not sure which direction to go with this one, I’ve striped several DIY paint jobs, but this one is different, weird serial/model numbers leaves me confused, not sure if this is something unique, or just another elgin with a DIY paint.

The Boat House
                    Participant

If it was just a painted over Elgin the numbers
                      would show up in the Elgin listings. Its not
                      uncommon for the stuff that didn’t sell
                      well to have incomplete records.

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_chrysler.html

brewcity
                      Participant

Again thanks you for all your help, I’m wondering can anyone tell me when Chrysler produce these engines did the Elgin casting still remain on The Recoil cover.
                        This one still has Elgin in the casting on top of the engine not showing in these pictures

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.