Home Forum Ask A Member Need suggestions on SMALL 12 volt starter solenoid for 1955 RDE-17 25 Hp Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

I am going to keep the 6 volt starter and the 6 volt choke solenoid (putting a resistor on)
      But I need to find the smallest marine starter solenoid that would work. I plan to mount the starter solenoid inside the hood.
      Any ideas?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

mercury has small ones.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

A direct 12 volt replacement is Sierra 18-5807, but it will be the same size as the 6 volt one you are replacing. It was used in 35 and 40 HP Johnsons beginning in 1957 when they changed to 12 volts.
          Dave

https://www.iboats.com/shop/sierra-18-5807-solenoid.html

jim-moffatt
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have sucessfully used the mercury replacement fro mnapa. its cheap and small, works fine.

jim-moffatt
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have sucessfully used the mercury replacement fro napa. its cheap and small, works fine.

Mumbles
              Participant

Are you mounting it under the hood? I used a small 12 V mower style one on my ’56 RDE.

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member

yes – under the hood

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

Look for an Arco Marine solenoid #SW058 for Mercury starters. Small size and easy to mount. See Arco catalog at:

http://arcomarine.com/xhtml/Marine_Part_Catalog.html

http://arcomarine.com/xhtml/Pages%2051- … enoids.pdf

Part available at Marine Engine and a number of other on-line supply houses.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

I wonder if those solonoeids will work with a 6 volt battery? Never tried that.

nj-boatbuilder57
                      Participant
                        quote outboardnut:

…and the 6 volt choke solenoid (putting a resistor on)

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but are you going to apply 12V to the 6V choke with a resistor in series to drop the voltage? (That’s what I’m reading here…)

I don’t know about your choke, by my choke (’57 Javelin 35HP) draws 7A. Dropping 6V over a resistor with 7A flowing through it will dissipate 42W. (P=I*E). While I realize that the choke isn’t on for very long, that’s still a mighty big resistor (and heat) to put under the cowl.

Check your choke’s current first & do the math. If your choke’s current is at all like mine, you may want to re-think this strategy.

Or am I mis-interpreting your intentions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.