Home Forum Ask A Member Need suggestions on SMALL 12 volt starter solenoid for 1955 RDE-17 25 Hp Johnson

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

That is what I was planning to do. I know nothing about this subject . I am just going on what I have found on this site.
      Speaking of which of these two drawing is correct?
      Am I able to use this resistor?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acdelco-C1101-Ballast-Resistor/182989239964

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

That schematic makes it look pretty simple to "just put a resistor in line", but there’s a bit more to it than that. You’re looking at a sizeable resistor & a fair amount of heat dissipation…..

The math used to select a resistor isn’t hard, but it’s essential that it’s done right. Before you do anything, you need to know the current that your choke draws. Knowing that, I could assist with the numbers….

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member

Once I pull the choke solenoid I will let you know.
          Which drawing is correct?

chris-p
          Participant

Use the second drawing Frank edited. Pretty straight forward. Done a ton of them.

billy-j
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why don’t you just change your 6V solenoid for a later model 12V one from a 1957 or later engine ?

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Somewhere on this site was mentioned…..
                ———————
                Aftermarket Replacement Electrical Ignition Resistor (0.6 OHM Resistor) made to fit Ford Tractor models: 2N, 8N, 9N with 12 volt conversion (1939-1950).
                Used in alternator conversion kits.
                Replace Part Number: 8NE10306
                ————————————————
                Here’s one ………..
                http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/8NE10 … r_3307.htm

quote outboardnut:

That is what I was planning to do. I know nothing about this subject . I am just going on what I have found on this site.
                Speaking of which of these two drawing is correct?
                Am I able to use this resistor?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acdelco-C1101-Ballast-Resistor/182989239964

Prepare to be boarded!

bill-mcnamara
                Participant

Canada Member

Converted my twin ’56 Javelins last year as described above, with parts as mentioned, absolutely no issues.
                  I didn’t mount under the cowls though, used two of the later style square boxes and located the resistor and mercury solenoid inside them.
                  Neat and accessible, no noticeable heat as I assume that the box is a bit of a heat sink? Its only activated for a few seconds, as the 12V nicely spins the 6V starter.
                  Bill.

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member
                  Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.