Home Forum Ask A Member OEM support for trailering

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wagemaker
    Participant

This photo is from CL. Seller states it is an OEM support for trailering. Why would it be better to tow in this position?

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

For road clearance.

wagemaker
        Participant

That makes sense. The only rig that I had clearance problems with was a Whaler with a 70 hp Yamaha on it. I don’t know how I forgot about the ugly sound of a skeg on concrete. Thanks.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

that is an aftermarket product.

frankr
            Participant

US Member
              quote Dave Bernard:

that is an aftermarket product.

Yes, aftermarket. We used to sell them back in "The Day". Made by Tempo??

kerry
              Participant

US Member

The problem is they do not prevent damage to the transom from a bouncing motor, like an actual transom saver will.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

chinewalker
                Participant

US Member

I’ve never understood the damaged transom idea, requiring a "transom saver". The stresses put on a transom are FAR greater while shifting into gear, while underway, accelerating, bouncing over waves, etc. than they could ever be on a transom while going down a road. If the transom is weak enough to be damaged by jostling while on the road, I’d be afraid to use it on the water…

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member

I whole heartedly agree with Chinewalker! Saw millions of transom savers sold with bass boats & never a transom saved yet for the reasons he states. They became popular when motor makers didn’t make good trail brackets. OMC had one that required the motor to be too high (not cool) & Mercury’s just didn’t work. Both are better now, but most bass boaters still use transom savers because dealers sell them. Big profit item!
                    I have actually seen them do damage to gearcases & if you leave them on the gearcase they really do a number on a prop on take off.
                    Guys like them on bass boats because they hold the motor straight while trailering.

Dan in TN

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

That reminds me of the the 35 HP Johnson RD’s in the late 1950’s had that horizontal pin on the transom clamps that pushed in (and wasn’t there a version that screwed in?) to hold the motor up, which if I remember right was for road clearance when trailering – but again – it does nothing for the transom. Maybe more important, It also would hold the motor up during launch or putting it on the trailer – good to have if you don’t know how to tighten the nut to put more tension in the tilt hinge.
                      Dave

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

You remembered correctly – Evinrude replaced quite a few transom brackets under warrantee on outboards that were regularly trailered over rough roads in the "up" position . . . 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.