Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Test Wheel Part number list

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Anyone have a list of OMC test wheel part numbers by model? Thinking of picking one up for my QD’s but apparently there are different ones depending on the year.
      Want to use them to dial in the motors in my test tank. Am I waisting my money, or do they really help in a tank situation?
      Thanks,
      Bob D

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Yeah, I have a fold out chart listing tons of them, Let me dig it out this afternoon..
        Which QD you looking for?

Richard

As I understand it the mimic full load on the motor, like if you were on the water actually running, but that may be incorrect.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

Yes, I have an older one around here too somewhere. It has the cast numbers & dimintions on it for various horsepower motors by models. Yes, Richard they simulate running conditions, but nothing is the same as a lake test! You need a good test tank for it to work well at all.

Dan in TN

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The QDs changed to the small 4-bolt gearcase in 1958 so that’s where the difference is for the QDs. 1949-1957 will use one and 1958-1963 will use the other one. I use the 15-18hp test wheel (5-bolt gearcase) for my 1949-1957 QDs. It isn’t perfect but is fine for my purposes. I have the right test wheel for the 1958-1963 QDs. I currently use a 55-gallon plastic drum. This works fine for the 5.5-7.5hp motors, but 10 and over will still ventilate some at WOT. It does let me get them quite close in the tank before dialing in on the lake. I dont have the part numbers handy, but I’m sure Dan will have them.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
            Participant

US Member
              quote t2stroke:

Yes, I have an older one around here too somewhere. It has the cast numbers & dimintions on it for various horsepower motors by models. Yes, Richard they simulate running conditions, but nothing is the same as a lake test! You need a good test tank for it to work well at all.

Dan in TN

And that is the secret. You need a good test tank. If you are thinking of running it in a garbage can, it is not going to do you much good.

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Thanks everyone. I’m looking for the numbers for QD’s from 1950 -1960.
                Running a 55 gallon drum for testing, which I guess is the size of a big glorified garbage can. Nothing professional.

Mumbles
                Participant

Here’s the P/N’s for the test wheels and the RPM’s the motor should be run at.

P/N 277278 ’49 – ’57 QD @ 4050 RPM and also ’56 FD @ 4500 RPM

P/N 377455 ’58 – ’63 QD @ 4050 RPM

Attachments:

bob-d
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks Jim.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Here is what I have, it is a LARGE picture because the "poster" is large….

Notice the note t the bottom of the page describing the tank that they used, conditions and elevation..interesting

Copy as you wish, and I hope it can help someone.

Merry Christmas to you ALL!

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                      classicomctools@gmail.com

chris-p
                      Participant

Yeah, I don’t think a 55 gallon test tank is sufficient for WOT test runs with a test prop. I may be wrong.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.