Home Forum Ask A Member OMC universal flywheel puller truly universal?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I need to buy a OMC flywheel puller that would fit the Johnson Evinrude motors i have, years range from 1950’s FD,CD JW ,1960’s CD,60’s -70’s 6 -20 hp and 70’s -80’s 9.9’s and 25hp.I’m probably forgetting some models
      Anyone have a part # for this universal puller and a list of what it will work on.
      The ones i see on eBay and other places are in the $80 range.
      I would buy a good used one if availiable.
      Thanks,Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

I have one of those and I haven’t found anything OMC from 50-hp down that it wouldn’t work on. Within my experience, but I don’t dabble in pre-war stuff.
        PN 378103
        http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brg/B … gJ_PfD_BwE

Steve D
        Participant

I bought one of those a couple years ago and wish I would have done so a lot sooner. Much, much better than the standard harmonic balancer you can get at the local auto parts store. The shouldered bolts provide even constant pull. And the holding bar gives you great leverage. I haven’t had a problem pulling one flywheel since I got it. Well worth the money.

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Thanks for the info guys.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

They are truly universal. I use mine on the big V-6s all the way down to the little 2 hp motors. It will be one of your favorite tools.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The one I own will fit all the way from the 2 hp up to a 225 Looper. I can’t think of a single, modern era OMC that it won’t fit. With some extra bolts from the hardware store, it will do a lot of Mercs; and it even comes with really long bolts, which I seem to recall will pull the bearing carrier out of electric shift gear cases? OMC made some good stuff once upon a time; and that puller is one of the best things, ever.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Just recently used mine on a Briggs & Stratton mower engine. With different bolts, of course. I’ve had mine for at least 50 years.

david-bartlett
                  Participant

If you want to enjoy working on outboards, then buy the puller.

You will smile every time you pop one off.

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member

The only OMC/BRP motor family that the puller doesn’t work on is the 60 degree V-4, V-6 motors. The V-6 started in 1991 & the V-4 started in 1995. The motors ran till 2006 as carbureted motors. (90hp-175hp) The DFI models also used the same flywheel arrangement. (75hp-200hp) The flywheel is bolted to a flange with five bolts (no taper). It requires a tool to lift the flywheel straight up because of the magnet strength (35amp flywheel V-6). That way the magnets aren’t chipped. The flywheel is down in a cavity so you can’t get your hands around it to lift it straight up. The crank snout is longer than normal. The tool is also used to return the flywheel back down on the crank for the same reason. The motor can be lifted this way or has lifting eyes casted into the block on opposite sides. It’s a different animal, but easily done with the right tool. I’ll try to get a picture of the puller & my lifting apparatus I made many years ago. Hard to belive 1991 is 27 years ago already. Guess it’s time to update everyone on these GREAT motors!

On a different note, one of my original puller kits (I have several puller kit, pieces, shoulder bolts, washers, etc) has many other pieces than are being sold today? Several other small bolts of varying lengths with very small threads (very short threads). I believe these were for pulling early flywheels with the odd thread counts? I have used the bolts for these motors before. The bolts are copper colored? Just wanted to know if anyone else has these older pieces in there kit? My original kit would be from the 60s.

Dan in TN

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Yeah, I do believe I have those short thread bolts. Can’t say I remember what they are for, or if I ever used them, for that matter. Might be for some sort of bearing retainer plate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.