Home Forum Ask A Member OMC universal flywheel puller truly universal?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bsplit
    Participant

I just read this thread, and ordered the puller with the link provided by retiredoz. I’ve been using a harbor freight harmonic balance puller for years, but this one looks like a much better choice.

Thanks,
      Jim

bullie
      Participant
        quote Bsplit:

I just read this thread, and ordered the puller with the link provided by retiredoz. I’ve been using a harbor freight harmonic balance puller for years, but this one looks like a much better choice.

Thanks,
        Jim

I have the same tool from HF too. This is making me wanna pull the trigger on the OMC Puller.

Mumbles
        Participant

No expensive and fancy store bought tools for pulling flywheels around here. Scrap iron serves the purpose and the round one doubles as a lifting eye for heavier motors. 😎

Attachments:

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

When i first started working on outboards ,i had a friend make me a puller like the one Mumbles showed to remove the flywheel off my 25 hp.
            I do like the idea of the BRP puller not having the conical point on the center bolt that could enlarge the diameter of the crank threads.
            I ordered the BRP puller today.
            Looks like we had quite a bit of interest on this subject of pullers. 😀
            Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

frankr
            Participant

US Member

mumbles, how much weight do you put on that hardware-store eye-bolt?

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

First thing I thought FrankR! Course I am use to lifting V-6 Loopers & an occasional V-8. The lifting eye that screws into the factory puller is 3/4" X 16 TPI I think.
                Nothing wrong with the rest of the plates! The key is the shoulder bolts & thick hardened washers.

Dan in TN

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Here is some light reading….:

http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/b … ensile.htm

I read that as a 1/4 -20 bolt, grade 2 can hold a proof load of 1750 lbs with a tensile strength of 2350 lbs.

That is not the same as the amount of twisting torque they can handle..

So how much weight can a 3/8-16 standard bolt hold while lifting?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So a 1/4-20 bolt could, in theory, pick up a V8 outboard. However, in the reality of a rough and tumble boat yard, it would only take one jounce of the fork lift or a little angle change of pull, to skew the results……and somebody gets hurt.

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Just sayin’ this in the interest of safety. Those bent eye bolts generally are not approved for lifting…period. There is a difference in the tensile strength of an ordinary bolt and the strength of a bent eye bolt. With the eye bolt, you are exerting a bending force (trying to straighten it out). Furthermore, it was already bent sharply where the shank meets the eye, and now you are trying to bend it in the opposite direction. We all know what happens when you bend a wire back and forth.

Again, just sayin’.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Agreed Frank which is why they use such large bolts.. to ensure that the bolt won’t fail… This is one time to err on the side of caution is a good thing

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                        classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.