Home Forum Ask A Member OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I always use an impact wrench with my OMC puller, have did it a gazillion times with no problem. I keep the threads of the puller well lubricated though. if you have a cheaper 1/2 inch air impact, try using that to tighten down the big center bolt. The hammering action helps pop them loose. Now….. please use common sense, don’t use a high powered impact wrench and destroy the flywheel ! Use a couple gentle bursts, along with some taps with a ball peen hammer. I’ve used the impact for years this way, mainly because it’s faster, and I don’t have time to wait.

wetwillie
      Participant
        quote Bullie:

Maybe I am not picturing this flywheel correctly but how are you getting under the flywheel with a strap without also getting under the plate? I may not have right idea at all but it seems the strap would be pulling up on the magplate and not the flywheel.

Understandable. The straps don’t extend under the flywheel very far. I’ll post a picture when the one I emailed myself from my cell phone arrives in my Inbox. Sometimes it takes longer than other times. FW reason, I have no idea.

wetwillie
        Participant

I have a pretty HD Craftsman electric impact gun. It is not adjustable. Just squeeze the trigger and it starts turning. I would expect the jarring of the impact to break it loose. It didn’t with the HF puller. I have not tried it with the OMC one because of the leverage I could get on it by putting 2′ cheater pipes on the breaker bar and the puller bar. I don’t mind admitting that I’m a little gun shy of using the impact gun after breaking 2 bolts. I’m wearing goggles as a result of that experience. There is a good coating of Nevr-Sieze on every bolt.
          Everything is still under tension and I feel like I’m walking around a bomb that’s about to go off. lol

Steve D
          Participant
            quote FrankR:

What you are doing is raise the whole kaboodle upward so the shaft has somewhere to go (and out of the flywheel). It makes no difference how you raise it. A pry with a big screwdriver is most convenient with most people. Use whatever solid and sturdy fulcrum point is handy to pry against.
            quote WetWillie:

I thought you might have a suggestion as to what to pry against when I’m lifting up on the flywheel.

Willie, Not sure if you have a similar spot on your motor but this has worked for me before.
            upload images free

vintin
            Participant

Before I swing the BFH I think I’d put a piece of wood under that pry bar so as to not mar up the motor.

wetwillie
              Participant

I could pry it (with wood in place) but would be a little apprehensive about applying so much force to such a small contact area under the flywheel and to just one side of the flywheel.
                I found a small sledgehammer in my garage this evening and took a couple of whacks at it. Nothing. I’ll leave it under tension tonight and try blasting the interface with a jet of cold air after heating the surrounding area with a Bernzomatic.
                Surely, this thing will let go eventually.

Steve D
                Participant

The wood’s a good idea of course and as far as applying force under the flywheel, you really just want to lift it enough to get the slack out of the slight movement in the crank that was mentioned before.

wetwillie
                  Participant

Gotcha Steve, and you’re absolutely right! I’ve become so focused and getting the flywheel off that I forgot the purpose of prying it up.
                    Personally, I’m pretty proud of the set up I devised with the whole motor being supported by it. lol

wedgie
                    Participant

Careful with the heat as it is easy to cook the coils 😯

wedgie
                      Participant

Careful with the heat as it is easy to cook the coils 😯 I Had a heck of a time getting the flywheel off this Ski Twin once, so I feel your pain. I put in a pair of Atom modules so I wont have to go in there to clean the points anymore 😡 Just pulled it out of storage to clean it up, and maybe take it out once before I have to go back to work on Tuesday 😥

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 88 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.