Home Forum Ask A Member Outboard Literature

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    boatdave
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi all. I took Punchbug up on his offer to share the knowledge and history in the form of a thumbdrive containing his compilation of antique and classic outboard documentation. It filled in some gaps for me, could do the same for you. Contact Punchbug for details.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I was going to do that once, but the postage to mail the thumbdrive said
        like $20 or near. It didn’t sound logical, and I didn’t pursue it further.

Prepare to be boarded!

punchbug
        Participant

You are right it isn’t logical….for me. I am glad to see the thumb-drive I mailed back to the above member made it there, and he was happy with what he received. The illogical part is that it cost me a little more than I quoted him to mail it back. He sent the money I asked for based on an assumption. I do not expect or want him to send me the difference. I am more than happy to suck it up in an effort to help other members. I have spent well over 700 hours so far of my time, compiling this database or all the members who request it. All I have ever asked for is some outboard related documentation of any type that I can add to the database for all members. Here is my complaint. I have only sent out 4 data-bases, and I have only received submissions for 11 members. COME ON MATES I AM DOING THIS FOR ALL WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT OUTBOARDS. SEND ME WHAT YOU HAVE. I admit that I have slowed down for the summer months but boating season is over for us northerners so help me spend some time on this for the winter.

jcrigan
          Participant

Anything in particular that you don’t have yet? Its been awhile since you first posted this and I may have some stuff to send.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

I confess to being a bit confused…..I’m supposed to pay someone to mail literature to them??

Any why is anyone mailing USB sticks to anyone else? Dropbox-type services are free. Just provide a link!

Can someone explain what this is all about? I clearly don’t "get it".

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

I bought a new USB stick and am planning to send. A little postage is well worth the amount of information that it sounds as if you have compiled. I paid $30 alone for an original 1958 Johnson 10HP owners manual.
                As John C asked is there anything in particular that you are looking for so I may include (if I have) it on my stick before I send?
                Thanks,
                Bob D

cajuncook1
                Participant

I thought the purpose of this club was to help preserve outboard information and share with others.

There are individuals who have collected information from members and this club, but have chosen to dispense that information for a profit. Thankfully, most members freely share their knowledge and literature.

I am certainly not accusing punchbug or anyone in this thread of ill mannered behaviors. I am just stating some offer help freely and some offer help at a price.

punchbug
                  Participant

NJ-boatbuilder57, maybe you should read the whole series of posts that I have written. Each and every post I have offered clearly states that I do not want any money for the information I have gathered. I would however desire to have my mail costs covered. Some members are content to get the information they require by looking through several, Drop box services by dozens of individuals, others want all that info gathered at their fingertips in a consistently labeled list. Who’s dropbox do you look at for a Bundy 30hp? or maybe an Amarc Diesel outboard, or an archemedies or Champion… You clearly don’t get it! You are not paying me to mail me info. You e-mail me information, snail mail me info or snail mail me a USB stick with your info on it. I check to see if you have any new information that is not in the current database. I then load ALL the information in the database onto your USB stick and mail it back to you. It is currently over 34GB of info. or 25,523 files(pages) in 1731 folders covering almost 60 different brands of motors. Who has a dropbox with all that in it!!!! I have mailed back 4 USB sticks and each time it has cost me money ( a few cents to a few dollars) for the return postage and mailing package. THE ONLY MONEY I AM ASKING IS TO HAVE MY MAILING COSTS REIMBURSED. Maybe you have the time to gather this info, verify it is something new, and then load it into a dropbox for all to use (members and non members) as well as archive it so it doesn’t get lost but I certainly do not.

Cajuncook1 while you claim to not accuse me of profiting from this FREE service I am offering your post comes very close to doing just that. I have lost 11 dollars in postage and packaging so far, I have bought a 16gb, 32gb and then a 64gb USB stick ($73 total)to provide a safe backup for the files I have, my choice, not a complaint, I have spent well over 700hrs on this ( I am a bit anal so I keep track of such things). So where is my profit on this. FURTHER TO ALL THIS I HAVE OFFERED A FREE USB STICK WITH THE ENTIRE DATABASE TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD SO THEY COULD POST IT ON THE NEW WEBSITE FOR ALL TO USE. So far they have not officially replied to me about acceptance of the stick. There are some legal concerns regarding copyrights and current advertisers who provide like "for profits services" in the clubs publication. Entirely understandable concerns.

In short maybe people don’t understand why I would do this for free. That is how I roll, I don’t desire or need the money. I am just they type of person who will do this for total strangers, in an effort to welcome and help others, both newcomers and old salts to our hobby and club. The thanks or job well done comment is all I crave!!!!!

punchbug
                    Participant
                      quote John C:

Anything in particular that you don’t have yet? Its been awhile since you first posted this and I may have some stuff to send.

Thanks or the comment. I have well over 1700 files on near 60 different brands of motors. It is far easier for me to have you just send me what you have and I will glean any new info from there. Thank you

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Punchbug,

I sent you a PM.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.