Home Forum Ask A Member Prop pitch question

• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Chris.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Or an optical tach (requires running with hood off for test)
      https://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Pro … tachometer

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
        quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

Thanks, guys! Good info all around.

Pardon my ignorance, but it sounds like a tach is pretty important to getting everything dialed in. But as far as I know, my engine has no provisions for a tach. What’s a fellow to do?

Absolutely correct on both counts. So, you will need some sort of shop tach. The problem is finding one compatible with a two stroke and making sure it is set up properly…Inaccurate tachometer readings just waste your time and cause even more confusion…

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

The Tiny Tach has a wire that you wrap around the outside of one spark plug wire to sense RPM. There are others out there that have a sensor that clips around the outside of a spark plug wire – all are easy to use. A tach is the best way, but I don’t generally use one – I’ve gotten a bit of a "feel" for proper performance and engine sound. You can buy a TinyTach online at E-BAy , Amazon, and other places. for $45 to $50. They are also good for setting idle RPM, and can be used on virtually any gasoline engine. You just have to, as was said in the previous post, set a tach up for 2 or 4 stroke and the number of cylinders to get a correct reading.
          Dave

gdcarpenter
          Participant

Hi, looks like a GlenL ‘ZIP’. My GlenL ‘ZIP’ runs 29-30 MPH @ 5,600 RPM with a 1959 35 HP outboard.
            (In terms of full disclosure it’s a Mercury Mark35A)

My best results have come from a 10" diameter 10" pitch prop giving me the above top end results, using a tach for RPM and a GPS for speed. A 12" diameter 11" pitch prop was too much prop for my boat, which weighs in a little under 800 lb. fully load for a days outing with 6 gal. of gas.

A tach is rally important to dial in your prop, so at WOT you are at or near max. RPM.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

gd, by any chance are we comparing apples with oranges now? How do the gear ratios compare between the Merc and OMC? And was your Merc a two-blade?

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

Hi gdcarpenter: it’s a ski-tow, and I’m on that ‘other’ forum, too. I posted pages & pages of build photos….until photobucket sank.

I guess the mission is to dial it in with as many props as are needed to find the sweet spot. That could get expensive! πŸ™‚

Tachs: are the $10 "ebay tachs" as good as the $50 tiny-tach? They all look to be just about the same….

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

I may have a merc-o-tronic shop tach for testing it hooks around the spark plug wire. works on any motor that has plug wires.

gdcarpenter
                  Participant

The Merc is Pinion 14 : 23 Propeller for the gear ratio.
                    The 10" diameter 10" pitch prop is a three blade brass prop.
                    The 12" diameter 11" pitch prop was a two blade aluminum prop.

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                      quote FrankR:

gd, by any chance are we comparing apples with oranges now? How do the gear ratios compare between the Merc and OMC? And was your Merc a two-blade?

It is apples to oranges. From my experience, if a 40 ci Mercury runs best with a 10P prop then a 35 hp Big Twin/RD will likely need a 13P prop on the same boat. That is anecdotal based on motor/prop testing on Feather Crafts, which is also an apples to oranges comparison. πŸ™‚

Also, I have used an automotive timing light with a built in tach when prop testing. It’s one of three tachs I use.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

olcah
                      Participant

US Member

Brings us back to NJ-Boatbuilder57’s question:

"Tachs: are the $10 "ebay tachs" as good as the $50 tiny-tach? They all look to be just about the same…."

Does anyone have experience with both?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.