Home Forum Ask A Member QD-10 that runs horrible. Expert advice needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Since you are a member that information is available through our inner sanctum. I maintain it for members as a reward for joining the club. Go to any of my posts on the green board and click on the site listed in the upper left corner. . . 😉

huntleybill
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I finally got time to work on the motor to check the butterfly. I have attached a video. The butterfly IS opening and closing. Notice the amount of gas coming out of the tube. This seems WAY to excessive to me. I have the throttle about 3/4 open and note that the HSN is FULLY CLOSED!

I’m not sure about the float and needle as I do not have a manual for this motor. I want to replace the float and needle but I do not have the part numbers. If anyone has these number and can pass them on, I would appreciate it. Also, the pin that holds the float in was broken off at the head so I had to drill it out which of course destroys the pin, so I will need one of those too.

https://youtu.be/_DrPkIeEXLM Sorry about the shaking but that is the motor. Was hard to hold the flashlight, camera, and steady the motor.

Your opinion are greatly appreciated!

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OMG retiredoz, that sure sounds like the problem. As soon as I can find a needle, seat, and float (and now that part) I will try it out again.
          Thank you for posting that.

RICK EICHRODT
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you say the HSN is "fully closed" do you mean that the limited travel due to the rod is fully closed or have you removed the rod and turned in the HSN all the way until it is seated against the carb body? Remove the attaching bracket that holds the adjustment rod from the top of the carb and adjust the HSN. Just my simple opinion and I am sure I will be corrected.

gjonz
            Participant

Couple of things…that donut shaped gasket in the service bulletin keeps fuel from going past the jet and traveling up into the jcarb throat unmetered. If it is dried out or loose it must be replaced. Some big twins also had this on their carbs, some did not. I always use them. I think Vintage Outboard sells the carb kit for these motors.

Finally given that you can flip that high speed needle around with a finger tip tells me your packing nut is pretty loose, or the packing itself is shot. That should be a bit of a challenge to turn that needle. If not you are likely sucking air through the nut.

By the, double check the plug wires along the mag plate. Make sure there is no worn spots. Had one wea so when the mag plate turned it shorted out the top cylinder intermittently. Don’t think this is your issue, but worth a look see.

Greg

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

rickrodt: I mean that I have removed all the linkages and turned the high speed needle in until it seated.
                I need to find the part numbers and replace the float, needle and seat, and donut shaped gaskets.. Then go from there.

RICK EICHRODT
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok…..good…..if the motor will run with the HSN fully closed then somehow fuel is getting past the high speed circuit.

gjonz
                  Participant

Buy the carb kit and rebuild it. Very simple.

The float will need sanded and resealed as there is no direct replacement.

Greg

bob-d
                    Participant

US Member

I’m pretty sure that there is not a carb kit for that motor. When I went to rebuild mine I had to scrounge all over to find the individual parts. I hope someone can prove me wrong. It would save other members a lot of time and money.
                      Bob D

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok..Would you happen to have part numbers for the individual parts? ie: needle/seat? per chance?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 34 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.