Home Forum Ask A Member Removing anerobic sealant

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    foot_doctor
    Participant

US Member

I have excellent results with the paint remover contained in aerosol cans. It is methylene chloride in spray on form. The spray nozzle supplies a concentrated stream that is pretty easy to control. I generally degrease the parts first, apply the remover, allow a generous wait time for reaction, then wash the parts off with a water soluable parts wash. I’ve been doing racing gear case repairs that require this treatment for many years with excellent results. You could use the aerosol gasket remover, but the paint remover is the same stuff, and considerably less expensive. A final cleanup with acetone or toluene before reassembly is essential. In addition, the primer/accelerant is an aid in encouraging a good bond between the commonly aluminum parts. R.T.

chris-p
      Participant

Very true RT. I use aerosol Gasket/Paint remover as well quite a bit. Only on motors Im restoring though, and are already stripped down. For anyone reading this thread, Gasket Remover/Paint remover will totally strip anything it touches, including the paint on your gearcase if it happens to be painted. Just FYI

The Boat House
        Participant

This is what I use.
          Works well for me .

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.