Home Forum Ask A Member Running a 50’s OMC in a barrel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Just looking at an owners manual for a 55 Evinrude 15HP, and noticed the factory recommendation to remove the upper bypass cover when running in a tank.
      Ive never done that, and my motors have never overheated.
      Am I late coming to the party on this one? Should it be done, or is just for this particular motor?

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I’ve never done it either, and have run many thousands of motors in a test tank, with a test prop. But I suppose those are the key words, adequate test tank and test prop. Anything else, probably can’t hurt to remove it.

twostroke
        Participant

I’ve had it bite me a couple times with 5 1/2’s & 7 1/2 OMC motors….but I admit, in a plastic trash can with conventional prop.

You can take the boy outta’ the farm, but you can’t take the farm outta’ the boy, I guess…..

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Maybe if you take off the cover, you don’t need to have it as deep in the water?? I’ve never had a problem with the cover on.
            Dave

1957evinrude
            Participant

US Member

Learn something new everyday.I ran my 5.5 and 7.5 already in a small tank with no problems. I usually check the water coming out to see if its hot. If its running hot the water should be hot also.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m sure I have run many fewer engines in a tank (55 gallon plastic barrel in my case) than many on this forum, but I have run a bunch of them. I have never had to remove that cover. I did have a motor with a solid cover over the bypass. I never tried running that solid cover plate in the tank. I never had a problem with overheating with the ones I have run assuming the pump is working properly.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Doug Wilson
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Never heard that before either. Need to make sure the water is above the level of the pump.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                  turned off?

johnyrude200
                  Participant

Never pulled the bypass cover but I have seen motors go into an overheat in a 55 gallon barrel. Its because the water gets so churned up with exhaust bubbles that the water is thinned out and effects the volume. This has happened if I was running them with a regular prop at 1/2-3/4 throttle in the little 55 gallon drum.

I switched to a 275 gallon tote with test props and its like night and day. You can run WOT with a pedestal fan for ventilation and calibrate small motors fairly close to where they should be on the boat but in the test tank. Strongly recommended if you have 12 square feet you can spare!

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Never pulled the bypass cover but I have seen motors go into an overheat in a 55 gallon barrel. Its because the water gets so churned up with exhaust bubbles that the water is thinned out and effects the volume. This has happened if I was running them with a regular prop at 1/2-3/4 throttle in the little 55 gallon drum.

Finally, somebody on this forum has seen OMCs overheat in a barrel, when there is really no problem with the motor!!! Thank you! I have said this many times and have been met with only chipping crickets. ESPECIALLY the Big Twins and RDs. They will usually over heat in a barrel, even in neutral, just from their own exhaust gas bubbles. I wish I had thought to try taking off the bypass cover. Very intriguing idea. (Although in salt water, I would have risked snapping off the screws….)

Long live American manufacturing!

kerry
                      Participant

US Member

The only bigger OMC (over 10hp) I have is 18hp, a little big for barrel cruising. I removed the bypass cover and used it for a template to make one out of aluminum, drilled and tapped for a garden hose adapter, and now I can at least see if it will run before lake testing. If I could find a way to quiet the exhaust, I’d make them for all of my OMC’s.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.