Home Forum Ask A Member Severe Back Fire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    fry-cook
    Participant

Good Morning, First let me thank the club for allowing me to join in the forum. Now right to it! I purchased a 1954 Lyman that came with a 1956 Johnson RD-18 30hp motor. Over the winter I replaced, with all new, the points, condensers, wires, plugs, coils, everything ignition related. I went to fire it up this weekend and the only thing that happened was a backfire so intense that it blew the top of the starter motor off, from this I mean, it broke off the cotter pin, and sent the bendex flying. I pulled the fly wheel off on rechecked my point gap, and wire connections, same results. Do you have any thoughts on what I did wrong or what could be causing this?

Thanks, Tom

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Are the spark plug wires on the correct plugs?
        Do you have even compression, and therefore no
        pistons or cylinder walls that are trashed?

Prepare to be boarded!

fry-cook
        Participant

Thanks, Yes first thing I did before I even began was to check compression, all good there. I will check to make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs, then give it another go.

Thanks Again, Tom

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

For reference – the TOP cylinder is fired by the FRONT coil. When looking down at the mag plate, the coil closest to you is wired to the points & condenser to the coil’s right/counterclockwise from the coil.

keny
            Participant

Maybe the flywheel key is bent or sheared? As you probably know, the shaft must be clean and dry. I found this out after many a backfire.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Easy way to check any 2 cylinder motor, Plugs out turn over the motor by the top nut watch a set of points. When they open stick a screwdriver in the plug holes.

Piston closest to the top gets that set of points.

fry-cook
                Participant

Thanks, I know for a fact that the shaft is not dry, it’s clean.. I pull the fly wheel again and recheck everything again. This is all good stuff!

Thanks again, Tom

keny
                  Participant

Sorry, Cook. The shaft and flywheel must be clean and dry… No lubricant … or it will shear off the key (in my experience)

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs? Just swap them around and try it, will only take a few minutes

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Is the magneto properly synced with the carb?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.