Home Forum Ask A Member Severe Back Fire

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote fleetwin:

Are you sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs? Just swap them around and try it, will only take a few minutes

Listen to Fleetwin. 99.999% of the time, the symptom you describe is cause by crossed wires and is dirt easy to both make the mistake and to correct.

Long live American manufacturing!

fry-cook
      Participant

Thanks, Haven’t spent anytime on it lately… Darn job is getting in the way. How would I know if the Carb is synced to the Magneto? Father’s day will be me time.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I question your use of the term "back Fire". This is usually a sneeze into the carboretor caused by switched spark plug wires or a lean mixture. Firing with the ports open (switched wires) would not strain the starter. However if the safety interlock were compromised, it would allow over advancing the ignition which would fire the ignition early and try to run the outboard backwards. This would put enough force on the bendex drive to shear off the cotter pin or break the starter motor mount. Lucky the cotter pin went and not the motor mount. . . 😮

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

This should be close to what you have, check page 8, number 43 . . . 🙂

The OMC standard magneto . . .

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.