Home Forum Ask A Member Shouldn’t this thing be green?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I haven’t looked at enough of these to judge the level of wear on the gears and clutch dog.

I pressure checked the LU and the shift rod seal is bad. The others held air.

51seahorsetn27
      Participant

Its a clean top end Id change bad seal replace the dog and gears clean out oil/ grease/ lower housing, reassemble with new gaskets seals, readjust clutch, run it in a few times and readjust again. Then its fish gettin time. If it wont stay in gear its worn enough to replace the set.

1946zephyr
        Participant

There never was a green Johnson 18. Johnson green was last used in 1955 and the 18 didn’t start till 1957.

bullie
          Participant

Are gear sets available for it?

51seahorsetn27
            Participant

Good question, you could post a wtb add on here some of the guys would get back to you, make sure you follow the posting guidelines. I posted and a day latter 3 guys contacted me for parts, unfortunately i got dealt a bad blow in court costs, so my tn project is on hold. But I did get a response from these guys here and they are a helpful bunch. I love this site.

51seahorsetn27
              Participant

Judging by looking at it closer too, you or him are lucky yall caught it now, it could have broke more if not fixed in time

cajuncook1
                Participant
                  quote Bullie:

I imagine I can figure this one out but am I on the right track thinking it is probably the clutch dog?

Yes, it could be the clutch dog and/or the forward drive gear, but before you tear into the lower unit please consider evaluating 2 things.

1.) A broken shear pin

2.) Remove the face plate on the exhaust housing that allows you to access the brass connector to the upper and lower shift rod pieces. Inspect the shift rod connector to see if it has be striped or improperly been installed. This could cause the lower unit to pop out of gear.

Just a few thoughts prior to jumping into the gear case. If the water pump was service recently, then it maybe shift rod connector improperly installed.

Good luck my friend!

Cajun

cajuncook1
                  Participant

Lol……..my dumb self, I should have looked make sure I was at the end of the post. I see you have open the gear case……never mind my ramblings….. 🙂

bullie
                    Participant
                      quote cajuncook1:

Lol……..my dumb self, I should have looked make sure I was at the end of the post. I see you have open the gear case……never mind my ramblings….. 🙂

It was all good helpful info. Always need that.

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

Sent you a PM.

DAN in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.