Home Forum Ask A Member Sierra coils – Dimensional issues??

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I’ve used a lot of these Sierra coils in the last few years and on most, I have to pry them back with a screwdriver, holding them inward with a lot of tension as I tighten the screws.
      Dave

johng
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have been told that the OMC Green German Coils are no longer available. Any truth to this ?

bobw
        Participant

US Member

The German-made Prufrex coils are no longer in production, although there are still some in circulation through ebay, etc. Too bad – they made a great product.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

โ€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.โ€
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

lindy46
          Participant

US Member
            quote Tubs:

quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

The money I “saved” by buying all of these cheap parts is really starting to add up! I’ve learned my lesson well, I assure you!

Put the new coils on the old laminates.

I’ve done it – a pretty easy job to change the laminates.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

The old coils were long ago discarded. I no longer have any old lams to work with. No matter, though: new coils are on the way.

I removed the magneto plate this morning and placed it on my workbench. With my locator ring I can clearly see that the radii of the laminations on these Sierra coils is all wrong.

chris-p
              Participant

Yes the radius is wrong. However, you can pry them inward so that the widest point is inside of the locating ring, then tighten down. If you tighten them down within the locating ring, the flywheel will not hit them. If they hit the flywheel after doing this, you have bigger issues.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

SIerra…. can they be informed by AOMCI… the biggest user of their coils???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote Garry in Tampa:

The latest Chinese copy of the Japanese imitation of the German coil has an incorrect radius on the laminations. When pushed against the locating ring they leave noticeable gaps. . . ๐Ÿ˜€

I remember when they were made in America and they fit every damn time. Hmmm. Must be the metric conversion that messes these fellow citizens of the earth up.

Long live American manufacturing!

twostroke
                    Participant

I’ve used a bunch of the Chinese coils…..and the laminates fit a LOT better than the Sierra stuff. I’ve been buying them offa’ eBay for $10 ea in lots of 12. Good hot spark…no issues. I just tell people that "Zhongfadz" is actually Irish, not Chinese.

My Dad’s famous line, whenever he heard an unpronounceable name…"That’s a good Irish name…"

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

ronboonville
                      Participant
                        quote Tubs:

quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

The money I “saved” by buying all of these cheap parts is really starting to add up! I’ve learned my lesson well, I assure you!

You can usually save money by buying the best you can get.
                        That doesn’t always mean the most expensive.
                        There are a couple other options.
                        Put the new coils on the old laminates.
                        Or you just file down the laminates where they are hitting.

what Tubs says, who doesn’t have a bunch of old coils with laminates they are saving for no reason and a big ole file?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.