Home Forum Ask A Member Spark Plug Wire Help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rschiff
    Participant

Can someone elaborate some on wires for me. On our second rebuild and having issues with the wires not going into the coils. It is a ’57 18hp and the wires are red. Not sure if that was done that way to match the motor or if this was someone’s addition to just look better for them. Either way they are really really stiff and sort of dried out or past their prime. After I nipped the ends off I cannot get the wires into the coils. My plan is to get new wires but would like some input as to what type, where to get them, and any other thoughts. much appreciated!

Robbie

tom-in-ri
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try your local motorcycle shop for black solid core (tinned copper) wire. They might have some with plug boots already attached. I had some plug boots and terminals to make them up.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Ah, you have some of that old plastic covered wire, don’t you? They looked pretty on hot rods, but were too stiff for outboards. Get some "real" 7mm wire wire (copper core, not car wire)

wiscoboater
          Participant

Another place to look is marineengins.com. They sell the correct wire by the foot. Iboats.com is another source. When I checked with my local small engine/lawn mower/ snow blower shop I was told they did not sell wire by the foot. They only order original "pre cut, boots applied" wires from the manufacturer. Warranty work at it’s best I guess.

Mumbles
            Participant

You mean this clear plastic red stuff? Gad, I haven’t seen or used it since the late sixties!

If you plan on doing more motors, maybe a 100′ roll would be worth your while.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Pr … op?ie=UTF8

cajuncook1
              Participant

Napa has a 7mm core wire and they sell it by the foot at a reasonable price.

You can also try a Tractor supply place. They usually still have copper core spark plug wires for the old Ford Tractors.

rschiff
                Participant

Yes Mumbles, that is exactly it. So it is safe to say that this wasn’t original on the motor even though it is from the 60s?

Thanks for quick responses. This site is priceless.

Robbie

rmhxruss
                  Participant

Sierra sells 18-5226 in a 100 ft roll many dealers sell it by the foot. OMC BRP P/N 772584 old 510883.

david-bartlett
                    Participant

That plastic coated wire does not flex enough to be used on these motors where the timing plate needs to move freely. It will cause the throttle linkage to bind, or be stiff in use.

Get the correct wire and enjoy it.

phil
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got a 100′ roll of Packard 440, 7mm, a few years ago from a local ignition shop/auto supply. It seemed if I was going to work on old outboards it would be used. That was about 8-10 years ago, they ordered it for me took about a week to get, cost $57

http://www.omc-boats.org
                        http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.