Home Forum Ask A Member Spark Plug Wire Help

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    49hiawatha
    Participant

I bought a 25′ roll of the correct 7mm copper wire off of e-bay for less than 50 cents a foot including postage. Keep your eyes open.

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Any place that works on farm tractors should have that wire.All the old ones used it.

rschiff
        Participant
          quote david bartlett:

That plastic coated wire does not flex enough to be used on these motors where the timing plate needs to move freely. It will cause the throttle linkage to bind, or be stiff in use.

Get the correct wire and enjoy it.

Funny you mention this…I thought the throttle was extremely difficult to move when I got the motor and just figured it was from all the gunk everywhere but never considered the wires. Hopefully the wires are the culprit but I must say, the motor may have the cleanest throttle gear assembly ever!

The Boat House
          Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by The Boat House.
            • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
            pappy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How about supporting your local dealer! They will probably have the OEM wire in stock.

legendre
              Participant

FWIW, my local O’Reilly Auto has 7mm stranded copper-core ignition wire for $0.69 / ft. They stock it on 100′ bulk reels, usually back behind the counter in the stock aisles.

This is the same material a lot of folks call "solid core" wire, despite the fact that it is stranded. In this case, I think they mean ‘solid copper’ (strands) vs. the graphite-impregnated fiberglass core used in most all automotive applications. For conventional, old school magneto or battery-coil ignitions (as on most motorbikes, small engines, etc.) you want a copper-core wire. If there’s any resistance to be inserted, it’s usually integrated to the plug cap – such as the NGK LB05F – which incorporates a 5K resistor.

Speaking of, I found a nice deal on eBay for NGK plug caps with NO resistor.. about $6 / pr. shipped, eBay item – 311274692919. Probably about the best cap you could ever have for an OBM / small engine. They seal out the water very well, and have very low dielectric leakage.

Nods to supporting your local independent dealers, but in a lot of places, they are already long-gone..

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

If the coils have been replaced with the green German ones (Excellent coils by the way) the wires screw in. The pin in the coil has threads on it to better hold the wire.

. . . . . 😀

moxie-man
                  Participant

US Member

Garry are you referring to the Phelon coils that will soon to be no longer available? I have a mag plate that I will be rewiring tomorrow to 7mil wire from the outboard dealer at $2/foot. Should I be screwing it on instead of pushing?

Legendre are you referring to the Arimide? 7mil wire advertised on the O’Reilly parts website? If so $.69 is worth buying a 100ft spool for current and future use. Also does anybody know where I can buy an affordable plug boot with the spike type spark plug connector for better than $4.99 per boot and 1 connector for a bulk buy of 10 or 20 ?

Mumbles
                    Participant

Not Phelon, but Prufrex coils.

moxie-man
                      Participant

US Member

Mumbles thank you for the clarification on the types. Was I incorrect in assuming the Phelon was also Germany? My Phelon appears to be more barbed than screw type. Will push 7 mil wire on. Occasionally I see a 1/4 to 3/8 thick rubber tubing in some spark plug wire kits. Are those used to center the lug wire in the coil? May seem like a stupid question but have only worked on older wico / plug wires which I soldered (gently since worked in electronics aerospace ) until this last motor( 1984 2 hp Johnson). Have been unsuccessful in resurrecting any old outboard yet but am hoping not to kill another while improving skills from this forum.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.