Home Forum Ask A Member Spark plug wires

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    neps989
    Participant

US Member

The set I used was for a 4 cylinder. I bought them years ago. I have been able to get 2 wires from each length using some other terminal ends I had. As long as the ones you are looking at are 7mm copper core I think they will work.

ronboonville
      Participant

I buy a set for an old ford tractor, makes two sets. I can’t clean the connectors inside the old boots to my satisfaction.

cesarp35
        Participant
          quote Jerry Ahrens:

Or you could just reuse the original 1950’s wire… that stuff is about indestructible. And the new stuff isn’t as good. I’ve never replaced plug wire on a 50’s OMC, unless chewed up by rodents, cut, etc. Just my opinion!

Yeah Jerry the ones i removed are the originals, they appear to be fine just really stiff and very indented where they enter the plate housing to coil, i just figured since i’m replacing the whole ignition system with new OMC replacement parts i would also replace the wires since i was at it already

cliff
          Participant

I have a 60s 3 HP Johnson that has both leads broken right where they pass through the guide loop between the coils and plugs. They get bent every time the lever is moved from idle to full power.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member
              quote cesarp35:

quote Jerry Ahrens:

Or you could just reuse the original 1950’s wire… that stuff is about indestructible. And the new stuff isn’t as good. I’ve never replaced plug wire on a 50’s OMC, unless chewed up by rodents, cut, etc. Just my opinion!

Yeah Jerry the ones i removed are the originals, they appear to be fine just really stiff and very indented where they enter the plate housing to coil, i just figured since i’m replacing the whole ignition system with new OMC replacement parts i would also replace the wires since i was at it already

I understand your concern there.. the indents in the wire where it goes under the mag plate won’t hurt anything. The old wire is very tough and has a reinforced jacket. I just kinda hate to see the good original wire tossed into the trash. I’ve tried some of the new wire we have today, and it eventually chaffed and ended up causing a misfire. I even save old mag plates from parts motors so I can harvest the good wire. As far as cleaning the spark plug connector boot, you can order those through Sierra or the dealer. The boot comes with a new connector for the spark plug.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member
                quote Jerry Ahrens:

Very true, I don’t change wires unless they are bad – I’ve only changed two on 1950’s OMCs that I can remember. One had encountered a mouse.
                Dave

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

$16.00/6= $2.67 per wire. How good does it have to be to run an antique tractor? Probably good enough to run an antique outboard motor too. OEM is probably worth price for a built
                  to run motor…if manufacturer still supports the product. No sense in replacing parts that are
                  still good either. Opinions will vary and one size does NOT fit all.
                  Louis

Attachments:

cesarp35
                  Participant

Wires look good for their age there are no breaks in the jacket just really stiff but probably a lot better quality than the one’s Oreilly’s sells, i just checked them they have continuity from the boot coil to the end of wire so after reading your opinions and suggestions i think i’ll just stay with these originals wires, thanks guys for your input as always i very much appreciate it!!!

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

make sure you don’t get any arcing … check in the dark flexing wires do eventually get micro cracks allowing HV to jump to ground and will measure 0 ohms nonetheless

it is up to you new wires are better than rowing

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
                      Participant

A plug wire may look
                        good on the outside but may not
                        still be good on the inside.
                        Also old insulation may look OK
                        but it can actually leak and short
                        out. That can be aggravated by
                        moisture so your out on the water,
                        it starts raining, and you cant get you
                        motor to start. Even at $2.00 a foot
                        its not something I would consider
                        not replacing.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.