Home Forum Ask A Member Stalling 1965 Merc 39

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

mine doing the same thing till I raised up the fuel tank and put it on the back seat next to the engine and it stopped dying

that’s how I used it after but never dug in and get around to check out the fuel pump….I moved on to a 9.5 as my troller and back up engine.

I suspect the pump was weak somehow and could not lift the gas so I am likely due to change the diaphragm

also… do check for air leaks in that silly little connector and ensure the tank vent is clean

I

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

david-bartlett
      Participant

I had a 9.8hp of the same vintage that would do the same thing. One of the check valves in the fuel pump was stuck, so it would not pump well, and these pumps are small to start with. Ran great with the tank up high. Unsticking the check valve fixed my issue.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

convert to the latter larger pump like merc recommended back then. problem full fix.

enrico-italy
          Participant

I had the same problem on a 1970 Merc 40.

After 20 mins or so, the motor stalls… often it don’t stop completely, but it runs "rougly" as flooding.

Checked many times the carb and fuel pump, I finally find the problem was the under flywheel coil… or, better, the cable connection into the coil.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.