Home Forum Ask A Member Stevens ST-75 Tester first time user questions

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

It appears they are still in business, you might try contacting them.

http://stevensinstrument.com/

Prepare to be boarded!

MARK CASPER
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I did and they said they didn’t have anyone who would refurbish them. They did have an older gentleman who did do that work but he died a couple of years ago.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I once tore a Wico condenser apart to see if I could figure out why so many of them fail or are intermittent.  The answer quickly became obvious (see picture).  On the left is the end view of the paper/foil roll.  On the right is a view of the disk that makes contact with the foil, connecting the roll to the wire.  See the marks where the contact was arcing and burning?  There’s the answer.

I also attempted to dis-asssemble an OMC condenser and it was so well made that I couldn’t even get it apart without total destruction.  Granted, I don’t remember what vintage the OMC condenser was.

Condenser-failure-arcing-Wico

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Should not be hard to fix if someone has a  internal diagram of the beast.  If anyone has working model it would be interesting to know the “probe voltage” applied to condensers

I doubt the circuitry  is going to be complicated but that all depends on your smarts in electronics… maybe a friend can pop it open and trace out the circuitry . Most likely  be just a bad switch of  dried up component like old radios.

It would be nice of course to have it  work properly  but depending on your findings cost wise you may want to look into M.Mohat’s test box .. .the basic model is easy to build

not to expensive parts wise and I found it works quite well to check condensers around 250-275 volts  with a fool proof  idiot light.   if it flashes or stays on it is dead !

you could probably fit all the components  inside your original Stevens meter and with a small  test switch….  nobody would know the difference.

see link    other articles  available  on the site  …diagram is available if you writeto Mr.Mohat who published is  condenser articles in the Outboarder …

to measure capacitance lots of inexpensive meters around … I got   one on Amazon  at around $25 CDN  sometime ago …this model includes a temperature. test probe which I do not have 🙁   my exact  model is no longer listed but this one is near  identical. Of course other model manuf . are listed  make certain they read  nanoF   (ex: 220 nF = .020 uF)

KAIWEETS Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000 Counts Voltmeter Auto-Ranging Fast Accurately Measures Voltage Current Amp Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle Capacitance Temperature for Automotive : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

Microsoft Word – Part2_Condenser_Testers_And_Testing_Correctly.doc (wrcoutboards.org)

btw….back in 1975….I  got a old RCA stand-up radio (low boy mdl  ) made by RCA Victor . I contacted the company to get a wiring diagram  and of course nobody was stilaround…to know anything about it until…..they sent me over to the “archives” dept.  🙂    found everything ..great service  and they sent me the wiring layout….the radio  and old tubes still works today  thanks to fixing up just a few ..inexpensive  dried out  condensers on the main power supply.    Stevens may not fix them but maybe  they  still have documents/diagrams in a box somewhere.  btw…the old Car 54 police band is kind of quiet 🙂

R-35 Radio RCA Victor International, Montreal, build 1931 ?? (radiomuseum.org)  

update: cheaper one

AstroAI Multimeter Tester, TRMS 2000 Counts Volt Meter Manual and Digital Auto Ranging; Measures Voltage, Current, Resistance, Capacitance, Frequency; Tests Live Wire, Diodes, Continuity,Gift for Men : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
            Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I did and they said they didn’t have anyone who would refurbish them. They did have an older gentleman who did do that work but he died a couple of years ago.

Bummer. I have two Steven’s tester’s myself, and the one never
              did work. I have an idea that the vibrator needs work. I’ll probably
              tear into it some day.

When I worked at a power plant years ago, they had a great
              I & C department. (Instrument and Control). Those guys
              could fix just about anything. If you have a power plant in
              your area, perhaps you could put out some feelers.

Prepare to be boarded!

MARK CASPER
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the response guys. Steven’s did send me pdf files of the operating manual pages, but no internal diagram. I would think they would have sent that too if they had it, but maybe it’s worth another call.

I did contact Mr. Mohat  a few days ago asking him for the plans for his unit but I haven’t heard back yet.

I would be interested to know the probe voltage as well. I’m guessing at least 300V per his article?

– Mark

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

check PM,s

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.