Home Forum Ask A Member Struggling with drum and pulley steering

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Everything is set up already I just need to wind the wire around the drum. The drum has a single hole the wire feeds through and the drum has two sides. The issue seems to be that when I turn one way the tension in the wire loosens on the other side and when I turn it back it does not stay in the drum. Any help would be great. Does all the wire go on one side or both sides?

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

You will need to wind it on the drum before you run it to the back of the boat. If it is a typical setup with one cable down each side of the hull, then the cables need to leave from the top of the drum. If you want to turn right, the motor needs to point left. That means you need the left cable to wind onto the drum as you turn it to the right. It is a two person job. I find that when I set up new cables, I need to go back a day or two later and tighten the system up. The cable will seat in the drum and get used to all of the bends

mgsolakis
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the advice, when the motor is centred how much play should be on either side of the drum?

adam1961
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I am not sure what you mean by "play". I find that about 5 wraps of the drum on each side of the divider is enough for most boats. The motor should start to turn as soon as the wheel is moved. The springs at the rear of the boat should keep the cables snug and well seated on the drum.

stanley
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This has been posted on this forum before.

Attachments:

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

That diagram really helps I have been winding it the wrong way. I’ll make another attempt tomorrow.

chinewalker
                Participant

US Member

And, there should be no play in the system. The cables should be guitar-string snug.

mgsolakis
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Okay so I followed the diagram as best I could, I can’t see the back that well. I tightened it down and now it won’t turn either way.

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Post as many pictures as you can.What motor are you hooked up to?How are you attached to it?A cable in each side of boat?You may have to loosen the screws or bolts that determine how easily the motor swivels.

Attachments:

mgsolakis
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sorry I can not seem to find a way to post pictures on the site. If anyone can help with that let me know. The wire goes back both sides of the boat, through guides and a pulley at the back corner. Then it goes to a pulley at the motor, (one on each side) and then back to the spring where it ties off. Just like the picture you posted Stanley.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.