Home Forum Ask A Member Texas/Houston

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    james-davis
    Participant

Anyone hear from Texas guys? Joe, Louis are in Houston. Any way we can help? let me know

Indian Group Leader
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi James,

Let me start off by thanking you all for your concerns. To date, Louis Rothermel’s home and business were spared and he and his wife are both high and dry. Joe McCauley was not so fortunate. Joe and his partner Cornelia apparently had several feet of water in their home. I have not personally spoken with Joe, so I cannot tell you any more than that. Our Texas Chapter President, Adam Finn, and his wife Susan had a close call in Bellaire, but are also high and dry. In Pasadena, TX, my wife and I watched as water crept up to within 2 inches of our door sills on Saturday night. Although it continued to rain for several days, the intensity was less and the water moved back into our street without further threat of flooding in our home. At last count, we survived 45.74" of rain at our home and my son and his family also escaped unharmed in Pearland after receiving several more inches than we did.

If you have watched the news, I can guarantee you that in my 63 years here in the Houston Metropolitan Area, I have never seen anything closely related to what Harvey has done to this area. After it finally slowed down for us, it moved east and basically destroyed the cities and towns between here and into Louisiana. I offer my thanks to the untold number of volunteers that came from the Houston/Galveston area, other areas of the State of Texas, as well as numerous individuals from outside of our state. One heroic act after another was shown as armies of personal watercraft, monster trucks, and farm vehicles came out and rescued unknown strangers from their homes as each was buried under tons of water. The total land area affected by this storm was larger than many of the states in our great country. The best thing to come from all of this was the total unrestricted help from everyone who took the time and effort to come and offer assistance. My hat is off to the Cajun Navy from Louisiana who brought a fleet of Jon boats powered by outboards to help out. Police and Fire Department officials from New York City drove over here to help. Numerous other states sent individuals in and we could not be more thankful. The usual 1st responders performed flawlessly and the local officials quickly setup shelters for those who lost everything. There are too many business owners to thank personally, but I can tell you that food was readily supplied to those needing it, dry shelter and suppies were donated for those driven out of their homes. Even a local furniture owner opened his front doors of his newest location and invited individuals to come into his showroom and provided matresses and furniture for people to rest upon.

That is all for now. I am sure that I did not give enough credit to everyone who deserves it, but my heart goes out to all of those who offered their unsolicited assistance. I could not be more proud to be a part of a country that can show such compassion and assistance in a crisis like this. Thanks to all.

Tom Oncken
        Texas Chapter Vice President

1946zephyr
        Participant

Funny. I mentioned folks in Texas the other day and all but two members must have been out or something. Now that someone else is posting something, maybe more will hopefully respond, yet there are three pages discussing what to do with stale gas, just below this thread. Am I to assume that people are concerned more about stale gas, than they are the Harvey victims? 😯

Mumbles
          Participant

Everyone here has had experience with stale gas and can talk about it but I doubt if anyone has experienced a storm of this magnitude and devastation before. What do you say? I’m just glad Tom responded and gave us an update and is doing ok. We have other members in the DFW and Louisiana area we haven’t heard from yet and I hope they are safe. God bless our friends to the South.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles,
              I agree totally! Let’s MAN UP & send donations. I did & feels real good. Even 5 bucks each!!!

Indian Group Leader
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a quick update from Joe McCauley. He says that he and Cornelia had 2.5 feet of water in their house. They have already torn out most of the wet items and still have floors to pull up. Joe also said that the insurance adjuster is already on the scene which is amazing considering the number of damaged homes and vehicles in southeastern Texas at the moment. Our prayers and best wishes are with Joe and Cornelia as they try to put their lives back together.

One last thought guys, please don’t be angry with each other while some others discuss stale gas. We know that there is no bad intent there and cannot thank everyone enough for the support we have seen coming from all over the continent. The mass outpour of support has been overwhelming. Nobody down here is discussing race or politics. There are only fantastic human beings helping out other human beings. I have never seen anything quite like this in my lifetime. Wouldn’t it be great if we all could treat each other this way all of the time. Thanks again guys!

Tom

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I hope Joe has flood insurance, am guessing he does if the adjuster came to his house. Glad they are OK.

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Unfortunately given the current events, it takes something drastic the bring people together. So sad.
                    I hope the best for everyone down in that area.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tom,
                      I learned a long time ago we are all one. I’m proud of everyone who has helped, First responders & the cajon navy. I have a overwhelming new respect for all of them!! It’s just the beginning of recovery, God be with them,

1946zephyr
                      Participant

Yes! The Cajun Navy is awesome!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.