Home Forum Ask A Member The Golden Days….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    squierka39
    Participant

US Member
      quote Buccaneer:

Kudos to the designer of that hood.
      A nice work of art. Sadly, you can’t
      say the same for the new ones.
      Then again, with all the plastic and electronics,
      I don’t think our grandchildren will be collecting
      the 2018 Johnsons sixty years from now.

I find it interesting when we say what will and won’t be collected many years from now. When I joined the club about 20 short years ago if you showed up with any 1950’s vintage motor you were looked down upon, and nobody would collect those motors. Now I’m hearing the same thing about ‘60 and ‘70’s vintage motors, but I see people starting to fix them up. Sooner or later they all become old and interesting.
      Just a few days ago I was told that after 1958 there are no collectable Motors, I don’t even understand that logic. Sorry if I sound like I’m ranting, not really I love all these old motors. And that’s a great looking hood, who cares what it cost.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member
        quote SquierKA39:

I find it interesting when we say what will and won’t be collected many years from now. When I joined the club about 20 short years ago if you showed up with any 1950’s vintage motor you were looked down upon, and nobody would collect those motors. Now I’m hearing the same thing about ‘60 and ‘70’s vintage motors, but I see people starting to fix them up. Sooner or later they all become old and interesting.
        Just a few days ago I was told that after 1958 there are no collectable Motors, I don’t even understand that logic. Sorry if I sound like I’m ranting, not really I love all these old motors. And that’s a great looking hood, who cares what it cost.

I fear that if someone does collect a 2018 Johnson sixty years from now,
        he better be creative to find the electronics to get it running again.

Prepare to be boarded!

mas
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years
          quote PM T2:

You spent the money, so don’t water down your fun now. Enjoy it and share if you feel like it – but asking if its a “good or bad deal” after you already own it is akin to locking the barn after the horse escapes…..

I keep locking the "barn door," but the horse keeps coming back…but with friends!

Mas

bill-loveland
          Participant

quote SquierKA39:

When the club started in 1965, a 1928 Quad was a 37 year old motor. And a Clarke Troller was 27 years old.

A 37 year old motor today was built in 1981.

People collect what they like. As much as I still like the rowboat motors and the knob start/poppet valve Eltos, I find myself more and more liking the late 60’s Mercs, the three cylinder McCullochs, the three cylinder Evinrude/Johnsons….

quote VinTin:

Looks like a good deal from here.

I hear they are not making them any more.

You could probably get them made in China for ten bucks a pop.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Seems like a fair deal to me, I have paid the same money for less….And, like you say, that hood is worth the money on its own…

davesko
              Participant

They are by far my favorite motor. The styling is just remarkable and your is in nice shape. I had one last year but sadly it was too big for my boat and I traded it to a fellow club member for a for a Evinrude 25. He restored it and it looks awesome. I’m pretty sure he spent a good bit just for Crome. Take care of the usual suspects and it will serve you well. My grandparents had one of these that lived on our pontoon boat for 35 years and was still running last I checked. Enjoy it.

51seahorsetn27
                Participant

They just dont build em like that any more, the first machine I fell in love with was a black and white 57′ chevy, I was a child born in 83′ but man when I look at what came before me the cars, the women in them poodle skirts it kills me to look around today at the $65,000 2018 GMC Silverado which is 95% plastic and the little metal its made out of; here in Vermont will be gone in three years. Give me the days of a $7500 chevy that lasted 60-70 years, and women who could cook, clean, and take care of a home and respected your car home and boat and outboard. Is it worth $475, is owning something real worth the pride and knowing you own something real and tangible. Hell give me anything from the 20’s thru 82′ and youve given me gold.

jimmy
                  Participant

That’s a good deal.

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

I have 10 or 12 1950’s OMC 35s, but my Golden Javelin and my ’58 Buccaneer are my favorites! I’m not much into the looks of the newer ones with the fiberglass hoods, but I’ve gotten to like the looks of my ’59 Lark, and my 40 HP Lark III. They kind of grow on you.
                      Dave

amuller
                      Participant
                        quote 51SeaHorseTN27:

They just dont build em like that any more, the first machine I fell in love with was a black and white 57′ chevy, I was a child born in 83′ but man when I look at what came before me the cars, the women in them poodle skirts it kills me to look around today at the $65,000 2018 GMC Silverado which is 95% plastic and the little metal its made out of; here in Vermont will be gone in three years. Give me the days of a $7500 chevy that lasted 60-70 years, and women who could cook, clean, and take care of a home and respected your car home and boat and outboard. Is it worth $475, is owning something real worth the pride and knowing you own something real and tangible. Hell give me anything from the 20’s thru 82′ and youve given me gold.

Malcolm:

I think if we want women to participate in, or even tolerate, the AOMCI, you sentiments on gender roles should be reconsidered….

Alan

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.