Home Forum Ask A Member Thin Gasket Material?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    joecb
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Louis can always be relied on to do first class work. As for the gasket cutting wood block…. there is a little secret there. The wood block works best with the end grain as the working surface. The block holds up better and the gasket cutting comes out cleaner.

Joe B

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Nice gaskets Louis! I’ve been making my own gaskets for a long time,
        but never to old to learn new tricks or of a new tool.
        A couple of years ago I got a set of transfer punches.
        Great tools for the spots you can use them.
        They perfectly mark the center of a flange hole, etc.
        After marked, I then use a transfer punch as a "pilot"
        for my hole punches, so the holes are spot on where
        I need them.

Prepare to be boarded!

Anonymous
          quote Fifty20ne:

Posting some pices for Lou ” Green Thumbs”

Fifty20ne, I’m confused. I thought Louis was the only person who used a washing machine as a work surface. πŸ˜†
          Kirk

fifty20ne
          Participant

US Member

I am posting pics for Lou!
            That is his washing machine, My wife would not be happy if I put an outboard part on her HE Whirlpool.

Attachments:

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I like that! Never thought of it before. I have a couple of rubber vent screw gaskets to make. Can’t wait to try that trick!

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
              Participant

If you go with gaskets made from old magazines, try and use the high quality shiny paper which is usually used on the covers. It’s sulphite paper, similar to the stuff used for photographs and it’s much denser than dull paper or brown paper bags, which are usually made from kraft pulp. Using a micrometer will help you find the desired thickness.

squierka39
                Participant

US Member

Thanks for the ideas. I was wondering where to get thin gasket material, you guys reminded me I have a huge roll of commercial grade craft type paper, it’s the perfect thickness too. Now I just need a set of punches.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I saw a comment recently on using spent cartridge shells as punches (.22, 308 etc…). the edge can be sharpened up by turning the shell on a grinder using a fine cut stone.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Fot those who might be making lower drive shaft seals (for Early Kiekhaefer K Models)
                      Use 3/8" center and 7/8" outer punches
                      The 1/2" drive shaft and 3/4" bore are tight fit for seal so
                      saturate seal with leather oil and it will install easier.
                      Pressure of spring forms the seal into cup shape.
                      The key is the washer that locates the large punch so the outer diameter concentric
                      to the center hole..
                      The brass washer just happened to be right size and on hand.
                      I doubt this simple idea is original.
                      Louis

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote crosbyman:

I saw a comment recently on using spent cartridge shells as punches (.22, 308 etc…). the edge can be sharpened up by turning the shell on a grinder using a fine cut stone.

222 Remingtons work good for the 10-24 screws found on our motors. They are also long enough to hang onto with your fingers instead of having to use pliers.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.