Home Forum Ask A Member Think I ruined my RD-23 lower gear case housing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

Well, I have sob story and a cry for help (boohoo) 😆 😆 about the stubborn brass shift rod seal inmy RD-23 lower gear housing. I tried threading the seal 5/16-18 and hammering it out from the top with a bolt like I did successfully with on an RJE-19 unit. Tried to heat the seal several times while trying to hammer it out with no success and stripped the threads. Also, tried tapping it to 3/8-24 thinking more threads for a bite and then realized that pulling from the bottom will probably be futile. So I stopped due to there might be a remote chance still to pull it. Any suggestions to remove the seal that I can try to save the part? Also, is there a tool that is designed to remove the seal I can look to buy for future use?

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not sure I understand, and assuming you are referring to the brass shift rod bushing that keeps the shift rod seal/oring in place, do I have it right?
        Next, it sounds like you are trying to pound the brass bushing out from the top of the housing (closest to water pump) toward the bottom of the housing where the pinion gear is located. I’m pretty sure the bushing is driven out in the opposite direction (from the bottom/pinion side toward the top/water pump side). Again, perhaps I am misunderstanding you, so let us know.
        In any event, these bushings are not in there all that tight and should not be offering this kind of resistance. There is a special tool for driving the bushing out and reinstalling it. I suppose you could thread something into the bushing, then use a slide hammer to pull it out from the top side of the gearcase. But, this will ruin the bushing and it will have to be replaced. Do not use this set up to install the new bushing, or you will distort/ruin it.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

#1, the special tool isn’t going to help you at all. It will work on bushings that are not worn and come out fairly easy. Certainly not the case here.

#2, Assuming you have the original gearcase (do you?) yes you would drive it out from the top, towards the bottom–as you said you did.

So…why didn’t it come out? Darned if I know. They just are not normally that difficult. Can we assume you are threading the bolt in from the bottom and driving it out from the top, using a punch against the end of the bolt? That ought to get it.

Heat will not help, it will only make it tighter because the brass bushing will expand more than the aluminum housing.

Having said all that, it is POSSIBLE that you have one that drives out the opposite direction. But it is totally simple to look and see which way it goes. If you can see the brass bushing, it drives TOWARD the end that you are looking at.

You probably need a new bushing, since it appears you are having to do some aggressive action against it.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            quote FrankR:

#1, the special tool isn’t going to help you at all. It will work on bushings that are not worn and come out fairly easy. Certainly not the case here.

#2, Assuming you have the original gearcase (do you?) yes you would drive it out from the top, towards the bottom–as you said you did.

So…why didn’t it come out? Darned if I know. They just are not normally that difficult. Can we assume you are threading the bolt in from the bottom and driving it out from the top, using a punch against the end of the bolt? That ought to get it.

Heat will not help, it will only make it tighter because the brass bushing will expand more than the aluminum housing.

Having said all that, it is POSSIBLE that you have one that drives out the opposite direction. But it is totally simple to look and see which way it goes. If you can see the brass bushing, it drives TOWARD the end that you are looking at.

You probably need a new bushing, since it appears you are having to do some aggressive action against it.

OK, surely do not want to give wrong info for sure….I am probably confused, use Frank’s good advice about how to determine which way the bushing is removed/installed…

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you’re still fighting it, is there any chance you could post a picture? Maybe that will help us give some direction. Its hard to imagine it is that difficult to remove.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
              Participant

I don’t think you have ruined your gear housing, just the bushing. That should be a straightforward, easy repair!

marksoldcresty
                Participant

My attempts were from the top to drive it out. It looks like from the bottom photo there is a little more meat to tap. I wonder if the cold weather here, 55 degrees making a difference as far as the metal being cold soaked? Doubt it… Easy repair? Agreed. (As I scratch my head….LOL) Appreciate the fast responses. I’m looking forward to going to my first meet on the 20th at Lake Hamilton,FL.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

If that picture is looking up from the bottom and that is a brass bushing showing, then you are doing right. Screw a bolt into it, then go to the top and use a suitable rod or bunch to knock it out. Rod or punch that you are using must not be too big to go through the 1/4" hole in the aluminum casting, or you will break it. It is kind of thin, right above the brass bushing. In all my years, I’ve never seen one that wouldn’t come out.

marksoldcresty
                    Participant

It’s out! I tapped the seal a few extra quarter turns. Screwed in a 3" (for easy reach to the seal) 3/8-16 bolt until it was tight. From the top of the housing, used a punch placed inside the shift rod hole, started swinging half arcs with the mallet to dislodge the seal from its bore. It took 4 tries before it popped loose. Corrosion is noticeable at both ends of the seal. The o-ring is hard as a rock. Thank you everyone for your posts!
                      Picture of the tools I used to get the blooming thing out. Not pictured 23/64 bit & drill.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great news! Glad you were able to get it out. It is pretty unusual for these to be stuck in there that hard. Almost all of those O-rings I pull out are hard as a rock. They’ve been on there a while and often that is the only thing leaking in the gearcase.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.