Home Forum Ask A Member Thread fix

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Goman
    Participant

I suppose the threads are weak on both parts. If I tighten it up too much it will come loose. I’ve tried the plumbers tape and can get it snug but it still leaks and of course if I tighten it up from there it breaks loose. I was hoping there was some kind of fix with out replacing one or both parts.
      Thanks as always!
      Glen

mercuryman
      Participant

A fiend of mine had the same problem , he put the nut in vice and bent just a little. Put it back together and it would tighten and stopped leaking.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

The threads are not what seals that part. Try a new gasket between the base of the carb and the fitting with the line soldered into it. T

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like Tom said, you need a nice soft gasket in there, then the nut need not be too tight.

Joe

Goman
            Participant

I was hoping the gasket would work out but that was too easy. I haven’t had too much luck with it. It may be a bit on the cross threaded side. I’m going to take it to a buddy and let him clean up the threads and see what that does. I’ve been reading a little on the epoxy thread repair systems and it doesn’t seem to work out for half the people. I was a bit afraid to try the vice thing.
              Thanks again
              Glen

dockbuster1
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I have done the vice fix twice and had good luck make shure you have a good gasket also squeeze on all three sides

amuller
                Participant

For sealing a gasket is the answer.

The threads don’t look too bad in the pic. Are you sure you’re dealing with original parts? Distorting the nut might well work, but is a little scary.

Another approach could be to use some thin shim stock between the make and female threads. Possibly a wrap of a few layers of aluminum foil, or strips of brass shim stock at 180 deg.

Goman
                  Participant

I’ve tried the alum. foil and some strands of fine copper electrical wire to no avail. I believe there is something screwy going on at the bottom of the female threads to make it jump off like that. It screws on fine most of the way it’s just that final quarter turn I need when it gives. A thicker gasket didn’t seem to help.

joesnuffy
                    Participant

Have you tried no gasket?? to see if it tightens up any better. With a flange that large looks like a paper thin seal would possibly work?

Joe

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

The more you "clean up the threads", the more clearance you will have. You need a lathe with a heavy duty three jawed chuck to tighten the cap. . . . 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.