Home Forum Ask A Member Two stuck flywheels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vintageoutboardman
    Participant

First post on this new AOMCI forum :mrgreen:

As you probably know I have several old Evinrudes and Johnsons. When I get a new outboard I always give it a full tune-up, so I will also replace the coils.
      The problem is, I have two outboards with a REALLY stuck flywheel. A 1953 Evinrude 3hp and a 1961 Johnson 3hp. The ’61 I picked up last week. Both are low-hour motors.
      I’ve tried the screwdriver and hammer methode first, because on all of my other outboards this methode worked very well. On these two motors it didn’t work, so I bought a cheap flywheel puller (the type most of you have I think). But even this puller doesn’t seem to do anything. On the ’53 I tightened the puller so much, I split the upper part of the crankshaft ( fortunately, I have a spare 🙂 ). Still the flywheel didn’t come loose.
      The 1961 I picked up last week got exactly the same problem. I tried a puller and tightened it pretty hard, but because I didn’t want to split another crankshaft I didn’t tightened it any furhter.
      I don’t understand what’s going on, because I’ve never had any problems with flywheels in the past, but now two motors in a row got stuck fltwheels 👿
      Please help!

chris-p
      Participant

Huh, those 3hps are usually not too bad to get off!

I leave the nut partially on the crank threads, before installing the puller, to protect the crank threads.

Use grade 8 bolts, threaded 7/16 into the flywheel.

That puppy should pop! Tighten, pull up on flywheel, and give puller bolt a rap with hammer. Tighten more, pull up on flywheel, give puller bolt a rap. Maybe leave overnight with pressure on it.

thepetrolist
        Participant
          quote Chris_P:

Huh, those 3hps are usually not too bad to get off!

I leave the nut partially on the crank threads, before installing the puller, to protect the crank threads.

Use grade 8 bolts, threaded 7/16 into the flywheel.

That puppy should pop! Tighten, pull up on flywheel, and give puller bolt a rap with hammer. Tighten more, pull up on flywheel, give puller bolt a rap. Maybe leave overnight with pressure on it.

+1 on this. I have several 3 hp (jw-16,jw-17,65 yachtwin,66 yachtwin) and a 2.5 hd-26 which is basically the same, and never had a problem! Seems something isn’t quite right on your engine

vintageoutboardman
          Participant

I know, it’s strange… As I said, on my other motors I’ve never had any problems getting the flywheel off.
            I should have left the nut on the crank threads indeed, but as I had never used a puller before, I forgot to put the nut back on. This time I did leave the bolt on there to protect the crankshaft. I’ve also put a lot of WD-40 on the crankshaft and also in the hole above the flywheel key.
            1/4-20 grade 8 bolts are impossible to get here, so instead I use some old normal 1/4-20 bolts.

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Time for some heat!
              Apply it gently.

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

legendre
              Participant

You might be able to borrow those high-grade bolts from the cylinder head on one of your motors..

thepetrolist
                Participant

Or then you could try using a totally prohibited method:
                  Pry the flywheel upwards with a crowbar, forcing the flywheel to lift, then smack the crank shaft real hard with a big hammer, preferably with the flywheel nut in place. This usually loosens almost all stuck flywheels. But there is an overwhelming risk of shattering the flywheel, so do it cautiously. And if you do decide to try, don’t blame me if it breaks something.

kees
                  Participant

International Member - 2 Years

you forget to HEAT IT UP a bit
                    as "Steve A W" already told you

😉

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t think you would be having these problems if you were using the OMC puller, most other pullers aren’t really up to the task. The OMC puller has the heavy/hardened disk that won’t bend/deflect. The puller screw has very fine threads with a centering point. The hardened screws/washers won’t break or thread in too far and demolish your coils. The puller disk also has a hardened rod that fits into it so the flywheel/puller can be held easily and won’t try to rotate while you are tightening the center screw. You can use an impact gun on the OMC puller screw which helps shock stubborn flywheels off, I wouldn’t use it on other pullers though.
                      Try to avoid the pry bar/hammer method whenever possible. Maybe there is a member in your area who will loan you his OMC puller, or let you use it at his house.

chris-p
                      Participant
                        quote thepetrolist:

Or then you could try using a totally prohibited method:
                        Pry the flywheel upwards with a crowbar, forcing the flywheel to lift, then smack the crank shaft real hard with a big hammer, preferably with the flywheel nut in place. This usually loosens almost all stuck flywheels. But there is an overwhelming risk of shattering the flywheel, so do it cautiously. And if you do decide to try, don’t blame me if it breaks something.

Welllll, I wouldn’t say hit it "real hard"! 😮

Just a sharp rap is all you need. Its the vibration that does it. If you build a "knocker" it will help. Essentially a bolt, with 2 nuts on it. THread the first nut on, then thread on the second, so that about half the threads are still there, then back the first nut back down tight against the first.

The thread this onto the crank, gives you something to hit other than the crank itself. Pry up on the flywheel, then sharp raps with a hammer. Don’t need to wail on it like you are driving a nail though!

But, the flywheel puller should do it on that 3 with ease. Im surprised you cannot buy grade 8 bolts there?

I had a 60s 40hp once that was on real good. I have an OMC puller, had to put a 3′ extension bar on the handle, and a 3′ extension bar on the wrench on the puller bolt, and have me and my wife pull in on the bars to get her to pop!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.