Home Forum Ask A Member Type of wire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Goman
    Participant

What type of wire or equivalent do I need to find to re secure this screw? It’s for a ’29 Lockwood Chief.
      I have some different types of wire around but I figured I ask first before I use something I shouldn’t. 😕
      Thanks for your help.
      Glen

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Glen,
        That is lockwire, used mostly in the aviation industry today. It is usually stainless and comes in a few different gauges. I am not sure where it can be bought. I got some rolls when I bought a tool box from a retired aircraft mechanic. You might try grainger or Fastenal.

Adam

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

Stainless safety wire is used on most critical aircraft fasteners. You should be able to get it at stores like Adam said .Special pliers are made for twisting it real tight ,guess you would call them safety wire pliers. I had never seen them before I started working on hydroplanes. I’ve thought about using safety wire on the lower unit attaching bolts ,as a friend builds racing outboards and he uses it in a few places on his motors .

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
          Participant

Home Depot, Can Tire, Princess Auto, those types of stores carry small rolls of stainless wire along with brass, aluminum, galvanised etc.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

were they really using stainless wire in the old days

with all that grease galvanized wire should last 100 years… no ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Doug Wilson
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

all of the safety wire I have used has been stainless I know McMaster Carr has it and the pliers that lock on to twist it. Grainger and Fastenal should have it too. Standard wire will usually break before you get it tight.
                Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                turned off?

Goman
                Participant

Thanks guys There’s a Fastenal near me I’ll see what they have if not I’ll order something else. I’m beginning to learn to use the right part or pay heck.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Clean and dry threads coated with Loc Tites Red Hi Strength Thread Locker or something similar should eliminate any need for any safety wires on a threaded part. In the old days, they only had bailing wire and good luck to keep their machinery from coming apart under load.No duct tape back then!

marty-a
                    Participant

The aircraft industry safety wire is ( was ) monel . Much stronger than stainless. If you cannot find any let me know and I will send you a few feet. Marty

Goman
                      Participant

If I had to buy one of these things I would be Twisting and Shouting. 😮

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.